Monday, June 15, 2009

Reading is like Water

Reading is second nature to me. My love for the written word began in about 5th grade by my teacher who required everyone to read 50 books over the course of the school year. Never had I had a teacher who blatantly required so much (Man, what kind of school did you go to you say?…yeah, well…it wasn’t the best school district in the world…bear with me)…but the students respected her and although some thought the feat was an impossible undertaking, we persevered.

We had to journal about every book and make a list of the titles and authors. I remember that we had to meet the halfway mark by the end of the first semester. I have a love/hate relationship with deadlines. I LOVE the check them off, I HATE the pressure to meet them. But, being the little “Teacher’s Pet” that I was, I was determined to meet those goals and then some. I didn’t start out doing it for enjoyment, but rather for the praise and adoration of my teacher.

However, through the process I found that I LOVE to read…it’s like water to my thirsty soul! I couldn’t get enough…and some 25 years later, I’m still feeling that way. When we go to the library, the librarians laugh because I have a bag for the kids and a bag for me…mine is often larger than theirs…go figure! When do I find time for this timely pleasure…yes well, ahem…that would be the reason that I’m up until after midnight nearly every night…but I digress…

ANYHOO, my little kiddos are not quite there in their ‘fascination’ with all things lettered black and white. I’ve already signed them up for THREE..yes count them…THREE summer reading programs…and myself for TWO. Sweetpea LOVES the challenge…she doesn’t necessarily love to read, but she loves to check off!!! Peanut, could care less one way or the other…she’s confident in who she is, whether she reads or not and by golly, if she gets to choose to either read, or go play outside…well, that’s just a no-brainer!

I hope…hope…sooooooooooo hope that they will develop a love of literature as I have. I’ve read to them since they were in the womb…I “graduate” them from board books to picture books and begin reading novels to them around age 4…

We’ve been through Classics such as The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Charlotte’s Web and Caddie Woodlawn, James and the Giant Peach,…

Through historical fiction books such as Hittie, Her first Hundred Years, American Girl series, Little House on the Prairie…

Through mysteries like Boxcar Children, Magic tree house…

And into series books like Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Ramona, Narnia and anything FAIRIES…

And through books that just interest us like Princess Academy, or authors like Beverly Cleary and Patricia MacLaughlin…

Our recent find was Kenny and the Dragon…WOW…such a fun book. Much like the picture book of the Reluctant Dragon, but made into a novel version…excellent read for boys and girls…literature is meaty, scarce pictures, enough to grab little one’s attention, but rare so the imagination can run wild…
We went to a storytime for Little Munchkin today…quite unexpectedly (we were actually going to collect our first “prize” for checking off on our reading chart) It just reminded me how much fun it is…I’m glad I’ve got one more little one to attempt to instill that love of reading…we’ll see how that works out!