Monday, June 8, 2009

The Neighborhood

I think the best thing about moving (3 years ago) is the neighborhood. I don’t think we are your “typical” neighborhood…i.e. no sidewalks, you walk aways to get to the next house, no fences, etc…but nevertheless, it’s OUR neighborhood.

Well, I don’t think it’s just the neighborhood…it’s the NEIGHBORS!!! Never have I had the opportunity to be apart of community like this (outside of family and church) Sure, I had friends in my neighborhood growing up, but it was maybe 5 houses out of 100 that I actually KNEW the kids inside.

Here, the neighbors are “family”…we all have each other’s codes and keys and are watching out for everyone’s kids. There are campfires nearly every Friday and Saturday night at someone’s house…we all roast marshmallows, makes smores, have a glass a wine…it’s incredible.

I have the most awesome talks with my neighbors as well…we get on all sorts of subjects from the news, to fashion, to Scriptures…unbelievable!

This weekend, one set of neighbors’ bought this:

You can imagine that the children came running…Again, wish I would’ve brought my camera, but I was too busy “policing” the kiddos and “chattin’” it up with my neighbor friends!

We’re already planning the MEGA graduation party that we’re going to have when all of our kiddos finish highschool…WHAT??? I can’t believe we were already discussing that, but we did…and I’m thankful for the support system I will have at that time when I’m bawling because my baby will be leaving home!!
Until then, I’m enjoying the kids romping around with each other and playing on waterslides, while us mommies & daddies talk and visit. I wonder if it’s anything like the “olden days” when the ladies in their bonnets planned a picnic and met down by the creek with all the families…Well, minus the water slide, lawn chairs, outside radio, Hershey’s chocolate, beach towels, sunblock…okay, so maybe it’s NOT so much like olden days…but, it sure is a fun little piece of family
!