I just started reading this book:

Yes, I understand that it is a children's book...it looked so cute sitting there on the shelf at Barnes & Noble and so I did what any other book lover would do...
I wrote down the title so that I could see if the library had it...they did, I got it, I began to read.
It's a cross between The Littles meet the Elves & the Shoemaker who find the Indian in the Cupboard and ride with Ralph on the Motorcycle...did you catch all that?
I've only read the first few chapters, but it's been so quaint and cute...I'm excited to start reading it to the girls. We just finished Poppy by Avi...they may continue that series on their own with the books on CD that I got from the library...but we really enjoyed the personalification of animals.
I'm not a literary critic (although I CAN be critical of literature in some cases) but, I thought I'd just share some book titles that have been really great for my girls at the ages they are...I like to dabble in lots of different genres as much as I can. I tend to creep back to historical fiction, but I try to veer away when I realize it because as a child that's ALL I read...I missed out on a lot of good reading because of it.
I've also realized that the books that my children are able to read on their own...well, let's just say that it's just not all that wonderful...don't get me wrong...if it gets them reading, then I'm all for it...but for heaven's sake, just HOW MANY different fairy books can Ms. Daisy Meadows conjure up...apparantly a TON and with all the SAME basic storyline for every one!!! My girls LOVE LOVE LOVE Boxcar children books right now too...they are fine books, good content, but utterly boring in my opinion...I can't even handle it...
So, you see, I CAN be critical...although in that criticism I DO see some value, b/c in the end, my girls are reading and that's what it's all about...
Anyhoo...I wanted to leave you with a list of read a louds that we've done and have been quite the hit! There are the typical classics in this list and you may see different genres...I'm not really putting them in any particular order...just whatever I can remember:) And so, it's also not an exhaustive list...shoulda kept a running tab there, but somewhere in my excellent organizational skills, ahem, well, I just plain left that out!
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
The Trumpet of the Swan By E.B. White
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Kenny and the Dragon by Tony DiTerlizzi
Any American Girl Historical Character Series
Hitty, Her first Hundred Years by Rachel Fields
Ramona Series by Beverly Cleary
Poppy by Avi
Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis
Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgsen Burnett
The Little Princess by Frances Hodgsen Burnett
Sarah, Plain and tall by Patricia MacLachlin
Do you have any to suggest as well?