Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How Things Have Changed...

I have officially reached my MID-thirties.

It's really not that big of a deal...

Well, I'm sure my parents are in shock over the fact that they have a daughter who is 35...it may make them feel a little, let's say, "mature"...

I'm sure my little sister thinks that 35 is soooooooooo, wayyyyy old...and, when I was 23, yes, 35 was old...

There are those that are a few years older than me, and may feel quite superior to the fact that I"m just a 'youngin'...

And some are just a few years behind me and are just thanking the Lord that they still HAVE those few more years to go...

But, to those that are right around where I'm at right now, it's not that bad...

Yes, things have changed:

When I turned 30, I wore a size 2 pair of capris out to dinner to a nice restaurant with my husband...today, I can't get those darn pants over my hips and we went out to Red Robin where my girls ate my free sundae and everyone enjoyed my red face as they sang/yelled happy birthday to me.

Ten years ago I had only been married a couple months, taught school, drove a silver lumina...today, I have 3 children, sing Miss Pattycake songs all day while cleaning the kitchen and doing laundry and drive a mini-van.

I used to have bangs...'nuf said.

My husband will disagree with this BUT, I HAVE grown one whole inch over the past 2 years...my doctor will attest to it!

I used to think that going out until 11pm was fun and exciting...today, if I can get my kids in bed before 8:30, I am thrilled beyond belief!

Hot cocoa used to be my morning treat...today, COFFEE...NEED COFFEE (well, at least my special little coffee drink mix:)

15 years ago, the idea of anything "domestic" was ridiculous to me...today, I sew dresses for my girls, I can cook stuff with zucchini and it actually tastes good, and I can clean a mean bathroom!!!

I used to drive by myself in the car, anywhere...today, I have 3 car seats and the glove compartment is full of Donut Man, Laurie Berkner, Miss Pattycake and books on CD.

And...
There are Some things that haven't changed:

I still cry at Pride and Prejudice...
I still take pictures like my brain is going to forget every second of my life.
I still wear a size 8.5 shoe.
I still listen to country music (at least when I'm driving alone...)
My closet still consists of: denim, denim, denim, tee-shirts, tee-shirts, denim, tee-shirts, more denim and...more tee-shirts.

I'm planning on splurgin' a little this year...just updating the wardrobe a bit...perhaps I'll treat myself to a Starbucks coffee drink, listen to some country music, while drivin' alone to shop (although, still in my mini-van...and, if truth be told...I like it a lot better than my Lumina anyway)

I gotta say...with the many changes over the years, and without some changes...

I feel like I'm living THE life...

I love my husband, still my best friend in the world...

my girls are incredible, INCREDIBLE blessings...

I couldn't ask for more...

well...,

maybe another 35 years to enjoy it???