"Fop it Mommy...Fop it"
Sounds a like a hip hop song title or something huh? Nope, that's the newest saying of Little Munchkin anytime I start singing...
"A B C D E F G..." FOP IT Mommy...Fop it
"If You're happy and you know it..." FOP IT
"Mary had a little..." FOP IT
"I Love you so much, I love you so..." FOP IT
Yes, Fop It is toddler talk for STOP IT...or rather, "Mommy, quit singing because I just do not like the sound of your voice and I would much rather be the one doing the singing...so if you please, close your mouth all together and put your attention on me"
I must admit it's just a tad disheartening to my soul that my youngest doesn't like the sound of my singing voice...because frankly, I've sung to her since she was in the womb for heaven's sake...And if truth be told, I'm a little saddened because I love to sing...I make up songs over anything and dance around the house with the girls all the time...
But now, I simply hum a tune and Little Munchkin comes running up behind me as fast as her chubby legs can carry her, looks up at me with those determined eyes and yells, "Fop It Mommy...no sing sng" (and yes I purposely left out the "o" in song because she doesn't really pronounce it, it's more of a gutteral sound...albeit cute)
So, I've now resorted to helping to lead worship at AWANA...it helps the cravings that I have to sing loudly and do hand motions...it's quite a work out as well, I might add...and I don't hear "fop it" from that audience...it's more like, "YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
Sweetpea and Peanut enjoy Mommy looking like a crazy lady up there on the stage...they point and laugh...but, secretly I think that they think it's 'cool' (one of my aspirations is to be a cool mom you know:) so I think I will continue to sing to my heart's content:)
That is, until I get the "FOP IT" signal from them:)