Tuesday, August 11, 2009

To Bee or Not to Bee

I prefer the “Not to Bee” personally…
Have I mentioned lately that we have a bee problem?

No? Well, we have a bee problem. They don’t necessarily think they are a problem, but to ME, they are a problem. They have decided to take up residency next to our siding near our laundry room...and when the heat just gets too much for them...well, they just make their way through our dryer vent to cool off a little in our mud room.

Italian Stallion had an all out battle with them the other day…at first it seemed like he had killed them. Dead. Three cans of yellow jacket poison later…NOPE…still not dead. Nice brown stain on the siding though...adds some character I suppose.

They are resilient little fellows and fierce protectors of their queen! That queen must be somethin’ because they weren’t giving up…she’s probably just sittin’ in there laughin’, not even having to lift a wing, knowing that we, the inferior human beings can’t stop her men…she just keeps sending them out by the thousands…

Yeah…well, I’ll tell YOU who is queen bee around here Miss Jacket and it isn’t some oversized, yellow and black bug who sits and lays eggs all day…

Enter VAR*MENT GUARD* Oh yeah…and I don’t think it was a coincidence that it was a woman who came dressed in her bee suit to my front door. My girls asked, “Mommy, it’s a girl who’s going to kill our bees?” Oh my yes sweet ones…it’s queen versus queen! And WE are going to win today!!!

She suited right up and started spraying like no tomorrow. She made those guys angry too...I don't think I need to tell you that I was standing wayyyyyyyyyyy off to take these pictures...(I tend to be all talk and no action...in that, I can "tell" those bees that "I" mean business, from about 15 yards away) I'll gladly let Ms. Bee Killer do her stuff...

And so now we wait...wait for all those little fellas to plummet to their deaths in my flower bed...wait while Miss Jacket starves inside our siding because she's not gettin' up to feed herself by golly, that's what the workers are for...

Honey (pardon the pun), I gotta tell ya...maybe next time you'll think twice before starting your hive in my house! I've got 3 princesses in training...Battle on!!!