Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Date Where I Didn't Go See a Movie...

This weekend has been basically, surprise after surprise for me...and lovely ones at that!

It started off with my best friend from around here, A-M. She had a free lunch for two at this cozy little restaurant in another part of town. Doing what all SAHMs do when they get time out away from little ones where they don't have to worry about spills, sippy cups, diapers and snacks...we dressed up...with makeup and everything!! And, we met at the restaurant around 12:30pm...

It was quaint, it was beautiful and it was perfect for two wanna-be photographers, as they were setting up for a wedding reception in the upstairs room. We couldn't stop oohing and ahhing over the "would be" shots that we would take if we were photographing the event...made us dream about our girls and future receptions...and then we got all "verklempted" and stopped that futuristic talk right away and sat down to eat.

A-M had a business card with "Come in and have 2 for lunch on us" written on it from the owner of the establishment. After the "teeny-bopper" waitress immaturely asked if we had written the note ourselves, and after I adamantly informed her that NO we hadn't...I mean come on...we may LOOK like desperate, needing to get out of the house Mommies...but for heavens sake...we have incomes, we can pay for lunch...it was all I could do to keep my mouth shut and not embarrass my dear friend with my teacher voice to this little "whippersnapper"...am I really getting this old?

Anyway, after she "checked it with her boss" and "it's all okay" AND after she then bent over backwards to appease us (maybe she overheard me tell A-M what a RUDE remark she made...although "over"heard may not be correct seeing as I basically sounded it loud and clear as she headed to "check it"...or maybe because she thought we'd tip her...hmmmm 15% of FREE is?????)In all seriousness, we DID tip her and very well (seeing as we didn't pay for a thing!)

Where was I? Oh yes, we ordered...and we ordered well: we had an appetizer and lunch and salads and then even dessert...IT was a feast and great company. We laughed and talked and dreamed and lamented and it was just pure fun! It was a perfect "start" to my weekend.

Sunday rolled around and after church, my darling husband was planning on taking me out to Molly Woo's (my FAV restaurant) and then going to see the movie, The Time Traveler's Wife. This was the PLAN! He set up the babysitting and everything...

What he didn't plan on, was that his 'avid reader' wife would discover that this very movie is also a BOOK!!! A book...that I didn't know about...didn't know existed...only to find out it existed once the movie came out...

If you know me...I don't like to go see movies if I've not read the book first, IF there is a book to read first...and so I was in a quandry...do I oooosshhhh over my husband's incredible thoughtfulness, enjoy lunch and head to the movie theater or cancel his wonderful plan in exchange for something else?

If you read the title of this post, you kinda know what I did...BUT, if you know my husband...the NOT seeing of THAT particular film...well, it didn't bother him all that much...pretty much NOT AT ALL...I may have even caught a glint in his eye, a relief in his brow???

So, we DID do lunch and then we headed to the next best thing: Barnes and Noble...because, you KNOW I love a good book!!!

Ahhhhh...what an awesome weekend!!!