Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Story about a Rock

Actually, it's a whole lot more than just a story about a rock... you see, my husband, that Italian Stallion, still amazes me, inspires me, and reminds me again and again why I fell in love with him in the first place.

Today was open house at our little school. It was Peanut's FIRST times doing the whole "school" thing outside of the security of our home. Now, if you know her well, she tends to be more adventurous (if you want to do a comparison) than her older sister and by and large can "hold her own" with the big kids. But, there is a side to her that surprisingly comes out, that sometimes just throws me for a loop...

But, it doesn't for my husband...nope, he reads his girls like no other person ever could.

She broke down in the classroom today while getting ready to go on a scavenger hunt around the school with her teacher. By broke down, I mean, sobbing. I honestly stood there quite dumbfounded b/c I didn't really know what to do...

in steps: DADDY

Unbeknownst to me, My dear, dear husband traveled back to his old stomping grounds (elementary school) to get something from his old playground earlier today on his lunch break. Something he used to do a lot of times when he was Peanut's age I guess. He stuck that "thing" in his pocket and kept it there all day until this evening when we went to the school. You see, HE had a hard time ad justing to school too...he missed his parents, his older brother & sister, he liked being home and new things scared him at times...so, he would get a little rock from his playground each morning to hold in his pocket...and everytime he felt sad or needed to be reminded of home, he would take out his little rock and give it a little rub. He could pray in his heart and remember that Jesus was already with him.

I don't know how he knew that Peanut would need JUST that sort of encouragement today, but he did...He saved that rock for such a time as this and she put that thing in a secret pocket in her bookbag for safe keeping. She was galloping the hallways after that...

See what I mean? He is just incredible...just another reminder of what an incredible man God gave to me and what an awesome Daddy he is to these girls!