Thursday, March 25, 2010

Just call me Gimpy

It's been about 6 six weeks that I've been forcing my body out of it's comfort zone of sitting on the couch reading a book or sleeping in until I know I can get the girls to the bus stop on time...gone are were those days. 

There are times in my life that once I know that I CAN accomplish something, I tend to get a little cocky about it...it's my little pep talk for myself...

for example:  while in labor with my first child, I kept thinking that if Laura Ingalls or Sarah in the Bible could do it, doggone it...I could too...(and don't ask me why I think Laura Ingalls, but I needed to picture someone from a longgggg time ago...I suppose I could have thought of Pocahontas or something...nevermind) I kept thinking past the pain of it with each interval...so when baby number 3 came along:  I just kept at it and hung on until it was over...

How does this translate into everyday life?  I talk myself into thinking that what is pain, isn't really so bad...
this is a good thing when dealing with cuts from when the knife slips while working with an onion...this is also good when your little ones watch you fall headfirst into a door or trip coming down the stairs...if they see you loose it, well, they loose it too...so, I "manage" the pain...

This is NOT a good idea when you are dealing in areas of which you HAVE KNOW IDEA...for example:  physical training and biology...

I've had shin splints before...while playing basketball in highschool...I know, I'm SOOO the basketball type...anyhoo...I've been "running" for about a year...add in that p90x guru and I'm beginning to feel like a machine!  WooHoo...look at me, i'm getting strong...I can do it...

enter leg pain..."it's okay" I tell myself...it's only shin splints...you can push through this...and so I continue...for days...and then comes YESTERDAY...

I went out for my run and somewhere between walking out the door and the easy jog to the first street, something happened...an incredible pain shot up from my ankle and up the inside part of my leg...not in the front like my regular shin splints...

But, being my stupid self...I just kept going for TWO STINKING MILES...I knew that when I stopped it would hurt worse...what I didn't expect was that I wouldn't be able to put any pressure on my leg without wincing and wanting to scream in pain...

I've birthed 3 babies without epidurals for heavens sake...I can handle pain...yeah, well...my body suddenly forgot all about that...and the thought and even the minor touch of the leg hitting the floor at just the wrong angle and I'm near tears...

And so I'm "benched" for a  little while...I have no idea how long...but, I limp along or hop on one foot all through my house...I see the looks from people while I"m pushing my cart in the grocery store...the ones that say, "geez lady, get the motorized vehicle...you're painful to look at"...

It's okay though...I'm into nicknames...never had one myself...so I suppose Gimpy will work for the time being!