Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Snow Ball Lists

I have a tendency, when things go wrong, to do what my husband affectionately calls, "Snowballing"...A snowball starts out tiny and then as it rolls, it gathers more and more snow until it's this huge, monstrous thing that you can barely lift in order to finish your snowman...

In highschool, I remember that I started "I Hate" lists...I would sit with a bunch of my fellow "nerdy learners" and we'd write out lists and lists of things we hated...granted they consisted of, "I hate theorums and I hate when I get an A-"...(I do realize that this is quite pathetic...but I'm trying to make a point)

yes, well...that's kinda what I do...I start listing things in my head...it starts with something small like getting a hole in my shirt or loosing a library book and then, as my day or week progresses, I start adding up all the things that are "going wrong" and I FOCUS on them...it's more like tunnel vision...in fact, sometimes my entire conversations can center around all those things...sometimes it's "theraputic" to just get it off my chest, other times it's plain annoying!!

Fortunately I have such forgiving and wonderful people that surround me that either 1) put up with my rants and self-pity or 2) knock some sense into me and tell me to get on with life!

So, for having said all that...in light of my computer crashing and a million other little things that I could "list" to you...I decided to FIGHT THE URGE...YES!!!  Instead of building my wall of negativity, I'm going to plow it down!!! 

I love LISTS...I like to check things off lists too...So, I've decided that for today's post (and maybe some for the future) I'd like to pick a topic and just LIST STUFF...and because I'm fighting the "negativity" urge...my list today will consist of "moments" that I love...not just any moments b/c then I'd be like everyone else and add in my wedding day and the birth of my girls, etc etc...nope, this is going to be a list of specific moments that happen rarely or often, but always continually (it's sort of an oxymoron rarely/continually..but I KNOW what I mean, so just humor me once again)...it's not just a one time event...but, they are special moments to me!

Moments I LOVE:

* when Little Munchkin looks up to me every night as I sit in our rocking chair together and says in her sweet little toddler voice, "Mommy, let's talk" and then I start to sing and she'll say "fop it" and ask for Daddy's song.

* the moment when my husband comes home from a business trip, usually with a Starbucks in tow, and he wraps me in his arms and holds me just a bit longer and I am reminded everytime how I can't believe he chose ME!

* Everyday at around 4pm when the girls get off the bus and they start running toward Little Munchkin and me with their arms out wide....they are high tailin' it as fast as they can and then Peanut just about plows me over with a huge hug...they are HOME and it feels so good!

* the moment that I look at a photo that I've taken and I know that I've catptured the personality of a person and I get all giddy.

*that feeling right before you know you are drifting off to sleep and you feel like you are floating...it's so peaceful and you know that you don't have to think for the next 6-7 hours!

* getting the first bite of Panera's broccoli cheddar soup on a piece of their baguette bread...ohhhh it's just divine!

* Right after I get the receipt from the cashier when I KNOW I've just made a really wise purchase that will actually save me money AND make the girls happy!

*when someone calls me on the phone just to talk with ME b/c they want to...no agenda...just wanting to spend time with me.

*AWANA worship time...I LOVE singing with that band and just being goofy...it's so fun!

*waking up and then realizing that you still can sleep for another hour or so...oh, that is just a great moment!!!

*when I hear an old song and it triggers a memory of something in my past...especially if it makes me laugh!

*when you step on the scale and realize that you've lost even just one pound...and then I go and eat chocolate and know that I have extra space to put it in now!

Those are just a few...do you have any "lovely Moments" to share?