It’s 6:30am…I can’t seem to peel my eyes open in order to enter the land of the living…I hear the “MOMMMMMMYYYYYY……ah done nigh nigh…Mommmmmmyyyyy”. But, I just can’t seem to make my body yank itself out of bed. Fortunately for me, I have a darling husband who happens to be a morning person…he just skips out of bed in the morning, greeting it with a smile (Gag me!!) Anyway, he lovingly cuddles little Munchkin and sets her in bed with me. As she pokes her fingers into my closed eyelids and incessantly yells into my face, “Mommy…Mommy…Mommy” I am thinking, “Oh, the morning has just come too quickly.”
I manage to roll out of bed eventually and stumble my way downstairs…being sure to not carry Munchkin down the stairs myself because I can barely balance my own body (WHY do I stay up so late???UGH) I get her set up with round ONE of Blue’s Clues (all the while listening to her banter on about the doggie and outside and eating and when are sissies waking up) and by round two, Honey Bunch (switching from Nipper…trying to find blog names that fit my 3 girlie girls…more on that later) and Peanut have awoken and I begin the “breakfast routine”…
Cereal for Honey Bunch, French toast for Peanut and cheesy eggs for Munchkin…along with apple juice for HB, orange juice for P and milk for M….I get them completely set up…I’ve dragged my feet throughout the entire process, willing my body to please wake up and smell the coffee!!! It takes a good amount of time for us NIGHT people to function in the morning and I am not exempt…
I ask them all…”are you all set? Do you have everything you need?” I can tell by the blank stares that they agree…they all have their food, their drink, and their TV (yes, I do allow my children to watch a full hour of TV in the morning these days…some parents are just better than others…oh well)
Not once during this entire hour process have I heard a peep…they obviously do not need a thing…they are content…quietly welcoming the morning…giddy with their breakfast, ecstatic that mom has finally relaxed on the whole TV watching thing…nope, not a word…I ask again, “sweeties, do you need anything else? Mommy REALLY has to use the potty (and I think I’m about stable enough to do it now!)”
SILENCE…okay…good…it’s the green light…I can now have 5 minutes to myself to really “awaken”
I climb the stairs to our bedroom and enter the master bathroom…check my eyes in the mirror, think about possibly weighing myself…change my mind…see the throne and shuffle toward it…just a few precious moments to myself…it’s not until I sit down that the yelling begins …”Mommy….I need your help!!! Moooommmmyyyyy!” It’s the tone of voice that scares every mother…has someone gotten hurt? Is there blood? Someone is breaking into the house? A fire has started somewhere?
I quickly get off and am yanking up my sleep pants as I franticly run down the stairs to see what has caused such havoc in the mere 2 minutes that I’ve been away… “Darlings, whatever is the matter…what do you need??”
“Mom, could you get me another spoon?”
Seriously? Come on now…seriously?
And the day has only just begun….