Sunday, May 3, 2009

Soccer Games

So, what is it about little kids' sports games that gets everyone RILED up???

I have to really be on guard with myself at these little "soccer games"...good grief! I find myself yelling and cheering...runnin' up and down the side lines...snappin' pictures left and right...I want to encourage those girls and I get so excited for them. They are trying so hard. I think I must drive other people nuts, but I'm just so into these games...anytime they pass the ball or dribble it just a few feet without it being stolen...man I'm cheerin' them on like nobody's business...and I have a BIG mouth!!

"You can do it"
"Dig deep girls...GOOOOOOOOO"
"WooHoo...You Go Girl..."
"AWESOME....You are GREAT...Keep it up!!"

And then...(there's always an 'and then'...) inevitably, there are those older, bigger girls from the other teams that tower over my baby like giants. Their coaches are in for the kill, they are in it to win...they post those giants in front of the goal with the goalie and camp out there until our little girls come down the field with the ball...and the ATTACK SWARM begins...I've got to believe it's intimidating for our girls...but what gets me is the "meanness" that ensues...

Here are the "other" things going through my head during these types of games that I do NOT say out loud:
"Get your elbow OUT of my girl's face!"
"Push her back sweetie, knock her down!"
"If you so much as touch my girl again, I don't care that you are only 7 years old...(insert mumbles)"
"trip her trip her trip her!!!"
"Don't let her grab you sweetie, pull her shorts down!"

Now really, lest you think I"m some mean spirited mother who wants to "seek and destroy" all other opponents to my OWN daughter..please understand, that is NOT the case. I know those other little girls on the opposing team are NOT evil, nor do they really have "HURT THE ENEMIES" in their mind...it's just that Mama bear in me and perhaps a "tad" of a competitive spirit???

In the end, I join the parent tunnel line and I yell and cheer for ALL the girls...I recognize a good shot (even from the other team) and I let them know...once the whistle blows, it's all over. My adrenaline kick subsides and I'm back to breathing normally!

I don't even think the girls care that much whether they've won or lost, they all slap hands, hug, poor water on their heads, giggle...and then look for the snacks!

Only 3 more games to go...whew...I can only handle so much! :)