I don’t mean to say that everyone is mean and life’s not fair and woe is me and I have it so bad…I’m just saying that it’s tough sometimes..life isn’t always “nice”…people aren’t always “nice”.
I’m not sure if it’s because people feel threatened, or maybe their egos are just so big already, maybe it’s pride, and it could actually be completely unintentional…but that doesn’t make the “pain” of the meanness any less real, or hurt any less.
The Momma Bear in me wants so desperately to shield and protect my children from all that “meanness”…to only surround them with little friends that have the same values and manners as we are trying to instill in our household…to break in and stop arguments or play that I can tell will leave my small one hurting…to never let them see or hear a news program that depicts “meanness”…
Tonight at our Bible Study I learned something though that I hadn’t really grasped before…(I’ll try to sum up fast instead of running y’all in circles to get to my conclusion) God can’t “turn the tables for you, if your table isn’t turned in the first place”…that was the “point”…basically saying, You’re not going to realize that God is coming in to BE for YOU if you don’t see that you NEED him there in the first place.
Today my little M said to me, “Mommy, Janie* said that Susie* is really mean to her at school and she doesn’t have a friend…I want to go to school so I can be her friend, even when no one else will be.” I have to be honest…this absolutely broke my heart. I can’t “teach” this to her, this is in her heart. But, what actually broke it, was the realization that SHE will have people that WILL be mean to HER…there will be young kids at school that WILL poke fun, exclude her, tattle on her, swear at her, try to beat her into the ground…at some point, because she is God’s, that WILL happen…we’re TOLD it will happen in his Word. UGH…this just makes me ache…
But, there was hope tonight…when her table is turned upside down…He comes in and turns it around again just for HER. We talked after that statement and I had to tell her that even people who know Jesus don’t always care to be LIKE him. And there are those that don’t know him at all and just want to make themselves happy, even if it hurts other people along the way. I had to tell her that people will be mean and they might be mean to her someday…but that we can remember what the TRUTH is even if they try to make you believe that you are silly or wear the wrong clothes or whatever…
God, you better hurry and give me lots of wisdom here…the time is a’comin’ and I gotta be ready for my girls to enter this world…I gotta prepare them to be strong and fight a good fight, not down in the pettiness of others, but stand for what is right…get me my armor Lord…me and my girls are comin’ out READY!!