1. I'm a former elementary school teacher and therefore, this will explain some of the "corny-ness" of which you will read...so just bear with me and smile and then move on to the next picture:)
2. Remember when I talked about "personality" tests and such...and how I'm an ENFP? You do? GOOD...because then you'll be so proud of my ability to "plan" and work with "details"...and I'm all about being a people pleaser:)
3. There may be moments in which I will delve into the arena of TMI...and for that I am sorry...but, I'm still coming off my "getaway" high, so you'll just have to forgive me:)
SO!!!
My husband works REALLY hard...really, really, really hard...I could go on and on and brag on him galore, but #1 that would sooo bug him and #2 it would take a realllly long time to get to my point...and we all know I have a hard enough time staying on track as it is...
Therefore, suffice it to say...he's worked hard, I've noticed and I wanted to do something special for him...
Let us take a peek at my "thinking process" (as I know this will
First off, he travels quite a bit, so he's used to hotels...he's also incredibly frugal when it comes to money spent on himself...PLUS, it's been difficult to find a good day for him to take break from work...
therein lies the dilemma...
I had friends that had planned special overnights for their husbands, but I was just plain nervous to bite the bullet...I had a million what if's...however, I so admired my friends for their desire to put their hubbys first and to try something new...kudos to you Kellie & AnneMarie!!! You are inspirational:)
so I started looking for bed and breakfasts...I thought that might be a nice change of pace...however, (and here is possibly some TMI) the fact of the matter is that I didn't really want to be in the same "house" as other people...where other people could "hear" things...
you know, like if we were playing a card game and I yelled UNO too loud... ahem
Anyway, so I was google searching and talking with different people and I'm not sure how I came across this place, but it's this little Scottish Glen in the hocking hills area...I happened to call the receptionist, Loren, and we had a great conversation...which then led to multiple emails and bada bing, bada bang, we're fast friends!
While I'm busily planning a secret getaway, she tunes me onto deal in which I get 50% for a one night stay at this quaint Croft...which in essence is a 700 sq.ft. studio apartment complete with private bath, private deck, private HOT TUB...fireplace, entertainment center and includes a gourmet breakfast in the morning! WHOA! Hello out-of-the-ordinary bed and breakfast!!
Well...my wheels get turning...the next thing I know, I'm leaving a magnifying glass on the seat of Italian Stallion's car and texting him things like, "Scotland yard is in need of your services to decode a clue...blah blah..." and "Dr. Watson requests your presence to uncover a sleuth..blah blah"...all the while Little Munchkin and I are running all over town leaving clues on his car and at his office...and picking up snacks and stuff:)
Long story short...I showed up at his office around 3pm and picked him up (in case you were wondering, my inlaws took care of the girlies, so I was at ease and could follow through with my plan) He wasn't quite sure where we were headed or what I had in mind...so I let him in on the secret and the THEME...
I broke out the Sherlock Holmes videos and the BBC miniseries "Sherlock"...and told him we were headed to Glen Laurel for a getaway:)
It was perfect...It felt like we entered this little European glen with these little "dome-type" houses...almost reminded me of the smurfs, but not as polka-dotty:) The Manor house was beautiful with it's stoic stone walls and big wooden doors. I got to meet Loren in person and felt like I was meeting a long lost friend.
When we walked into our Croft, we were immediately welcomed with Celtic music playing through the speakers ...we were able to sit by the fire and peruse the old journal entries of hundreds of past guests to Glen Laurel...so many anniversaries and romantic dates and proposals...
The attention that was paid to detail was amazing...from the little notes, to the walking sticks left outside our front door...down to shortbread Scottish cookies and bottled water for our hikes...
Needless to say, we took full advantage of the roaring fireplace and immaculate hot tub...we left work back in the city and were able to just relax and refresh!
I can't say enough about the hike either...as I said, I hadn't been to Hocking Hills before and I'm sure there are countless trails and hikes throughout the area...but to be able to just head out back after a deliciously warm breakfast...and to just witness God's creation together...in the quiet...without having to tie someone's shoe or wipe someone's nose or carry someone because her little legs couldn't keep up...well, it was peaceful! And the weather for January was UNseasonal...and gorgeous!
So thankful this guy asked me to marry him a long while back...couldn't ask for more!



















