Italian Stallion grew up on some "acreage"...
I did not...
I grew up where you could reach out your window and touch your neighbor's backyard...
In the winter, snow drifts were just little mounds in between everyone's driveways or up against the side of each house down the street...
In the summer, the sprinklers were basically shared because it always reached your neighbor's grass anyway...
If a phone rang, everyone ran in assuming it was theirs...
This is not the case where we currently live...
Don't get me wrong...it's not that I abhore the 3 hour tractor grass cutting routine, or the hours of shoveling a driveway that looks like a short street, or having to put on boots to check on the garden...
I'm really not complaining...it's just different...it's not bad, better or worse than anything else...
HOWEVER, what I wasn't prepared for was the whipping of wind and the damage it can cause when there aren't other houses to soften the blow...
This morning a LOUD bang scared all of us as we were preparing to get out to the bus stop...I thought for sure Little Munchkin must have launched herself off the top of the stairs or from Peanut's loft bed...
after I swallowed my heart back into my chest, I had a hunch that I may have been mistaken and went to the front door...low and behold, my beautiful storm door (which has already been damaged once by the wind) was once again smashed off it's hinge and bent in a most awkward position.
Bending down in my sweaty pajamas (I actually exercised this morning) I surveyed the damage...as the wind, ice and rain pelted me, I started to yell to the girls to get me a screwdriver....
Peanut, my ever astute little one began running all over the house bringing me all the flat head screwdrivers she could find...of course, I needed the other kind and so my clothes were soaked through and my hand frozen to the storm door by the time she was able to locate one...
The television was vying for Sweetpea and Little Munchkin's attention and therefore their "help" in the matter was rather limited...I mean, come on, Mommy versus Curious George? there's an obvious winner there I suppose...not sure why CG trumps Mommy freezing her fingers off for a 4th grader, but I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that they aren't allowed much TV at all, so basically a bright screen must put her into a trance...UGH
While struggling to keep the storm door in place, I bent down to unscrew what was left of the hinge on my beautiful door...when it was said and done, I closed and locked the door and that was the end of it...The wind is still whipping outside and you can hear it howling all around the house:(
Thus ends my dream of a storm door on the front of the house...
Also, a reminder to get dressed, in warm clothes, before the children get ready for school...you just never know...