I can't say that I wasn't interested. I remember doing the same thing on my dad's side of the family while I was in high school. His family is more of English and German heritage, whereas my mom comes from Scottish/Irish descent.
Needless to say, after our little Glen Laurel getaway, my mind has tended to wander in the direction of all things "Celtic"...
I even had someone from our lifegroup tell me that his boss' name is the same as mine but she demands it pronounced differently because she is a firm believer in her Irish backgrounds, or some other such reasoning...
This was quite humorous to me seeing as our name is not an actual Irish name, rather it is the American version of the name "Cailin" in Ireland, meaning lass or girl. Therefore to "pronounce" it correctly would necessitate it being an actual Irish name...which is "technically" is not...
but I digress...
The direction in which my head was going, was just settling upon those European countries every once in awhile. Italian Stallion and I finally sat down to watch the Sherlock Holmes movie that tagged along with us to Glen Laurel one evening last week...and I came across this book shortly thereafter:

and I started reading it...I became mesmorized by names such as Florilyn and Courteney and Gwenyth...and I was immersed in the history and land that Mr. Phillips eloquently developed.
Italian Stallion and I have discussed the dream of going to Europe with the girls when they are older and able to appreciate it...to get a bigger sense of the world they live in...
This post really has no other reason except to express my random thoughts as I "talk" my way to a conclusion...
The fact that within books I tend to escape and become a part of the story is something of which I am quite aware in myself. I had a discussion about this with Sweetpea lately.
We have allowed her to read the first two books in a series that others might label unsuitable or "unchristian"...she is becoming similar to me, however, as she grows in her love of reading...she is learning to recognize quality literature, character development and storylines that are well developed. She has always done well with realistic fiction...Fantasy has been more of a struggle...being "black and white" with her understanding of the world around her, she often struggles in trying to grasp meanings that are beyond her imagination...
Therefore, the fact that we have allowed her to begin this journey in a fantasy series, has definitely challenged her and caused her to grow...much to the point that she is frustrated that she must stop for awhile...until we feel she is able to handle the not only more complex storylines, but the "feeling" that is in them...
I know that there are those that books do not affect them in the same way...remember I said that I tend to "become" part of the story...therefore, when I read something, my mind "sets to think on those things"...I have discovered that IF those things that I come away thinking upon, are not true, noble, right, nor do they lead me in a direction of "lovely", then it's not good for my heart...plain and simple.
That's how I explained it to Sweetpea as well..
Others may see that as ridiculous or immature...but for me...it gives me a gauge by which I choose to subject myself so that I may enjoy literature, but also be on guard for the things that are most important. For Sweetpea, as she learns to determine where her heart and thoughts are drawn, we want to be able to guide her and help her discern whether a book is just a fun read, a learning journey, a thought-provoking mystery or something in which she has to put down and walk away from.
I enjoyed this unexpected treat of the From Across the Ancient Waters...it attracted me because of the Scottish references, but it was also a read that not only allowed a sweet escape of which I enjoy, but set my mind on things that were good and noble as well:)
I'm not really trying to give a recommendation toward a certain book...my style isn't necessarily something that others may enjoy...namely one of my BFFs who thoroughly enjoys nonfiction from which she can learn...where again, I rather like to escape instead:) But to each his/her own:) I suppose Jesus enjoyed both, as he gave many facts, but thoroughly enjoyed telling stories as well:)
Anyhoo...that's my two cents for the moment:)