Monday, January 31, 2011

Trying something Old but New

I stumbled across this book a longggg time ago.  I think I've read it twice with Sweetpea and at least once with Peanut...never with Little Munchkin. 

I was reminded today that God deserves our "firstfruits"...the best of what we have...and that's not just money...it can be relationships, time, our marriage, school, mothering...you get the idea...

The problem is that LIFE (or pride, or facebook, or pack rat-ism, or the TV, or friends...) gets in the way of me giving my "best" to whom it belongs. 

With that reminder...along with the observation that Italian Stallion and I can't handle the bickering, arguing, and often selfish spirits that seem to creep up into our household on an almost daily basis...I decided to start fighting back...and starting with giving the best of ourselves and arming our hearts and minds with truth...

My girls know Bible stories...they've been read to since they were babies, we have felt/flannel board stories, pop up books...they hear it at church and AWANA...but, the one area that is really difficult for me to role model is that of just using scripture in everyday life...

ENTER:  My ABC Bible Verses...

I love that there is a letter associated with each verse...and the kids have a goal in mind with memorizing the verses...

We stick the verses on the wall (and lest you think I have a yellow wall somewhere...um, NO, my white balance was completely off and that's what I get for taking a picture in low light)  Anyway, our goal is to learn all 26 verses! 

There is a little story associated with each verse...an application if you will...

And then, some little discussion questions and an opportunity to talk about circumstances and situations where we can put it into practice. 

We've started working on this at dinner time...when we're all sitting down together...I'm hoping that this sticks...I'm hoping that I keep it up...for the sake of my kids...as well as reminding myself that I need to give my best and not just my leftovers...