Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hello? Electricity...are you coming back?

Well..according to AEP, we should have power restored sometime before SPRING!  UGH...

We've been without electricity (and hot water for that matter) since midnight on Monday.  It's been a few days to say the least.  But, before i start complaining about the cold and the bit a of stink that can accumulate after keeping kids bundled and cuddled close for days on end...I want to be sure to share the things I am thankful for...it's amazing how putting scripture to memory (and heart) can force you to see things in a different light IF, if and only IF, you choose to direct your thoughts that way...

Things I am thankful for:
1. Neighbors who know how to jimmy-rig a generator to a furnace.  The amount of electrical tape and raw wires sticking out in our basement is a "bit" scary to look at, I must admit...but when that heat came blasting through the vents after the house bottomed out at 57 degrees AND after 4 hours of TRYING to get it working...oh, the JOY...My behind has never been more thankful than when each of us girls chose a different vent and SAT there  until the house reach about 63:)  I am happy to report that when the generator is whoopin' it up, we keep the house at a roaring 70 degrees:)

2.Sunshine to melt the ice.  Although it is not completely gone...this fact known b/c Peanut slipped at fell in our driveway on the way to the bus stop this morning...it is melting.  And because of this, we do not have ice damns on our roof causing water to seep into the drywall...and for THIS I AM THANKFUL!

3. Our sump pump works...it makes weird noises, YES...but it works and THAT, my friends, is what counts.  My "treasures" in boxes are safe for the time being...and being the "treasure saver" that I am, my heart is glad.

4. An incredible husband who works tirelessly to keep our family safe, warm and fully stocked on peanut M-n-Ms, Starbucks and Narnia movies!

5. The fact that even though we hadn't showered since Monday...nor used any hot water...by some miracle, the water in the tank stayed warm enough so that this morning ALL FIVE OF US got showers...this all took place in the matter of about 15 minutes, but CLEAN WE ARE! I've never scrubbed heads and little bodies as fast as I did this morning, but I'm happy to report that we smell of pomegranate and soap...and it is a good thing!

6. A gas stove top...on which we can make yummy pancakes, scrambled eggs, warm up chocolate milk and boil water so we can wash our faces...even admist a power outage!

There are many things more, but I've been gone from the house for over an hour now here at the library and I've got to get home as the temperature drops about 10 degrees in a matter of 3 hours...so I need to head back (after a quick stop to Panera for lunch...just cuz:)

Happy Winter folks..I'll be back to regular updating once we get some power and internet access at our house...