He won't like this...
Not because he doesn't enjoy words...for he chooses them carefully.
Rather, he doesn't want the spotlight...almost polar opposite he is from his wife...
He is reserved, quiet, watchful as I tend to run headlong into the craziness and/or create it myself!
It isn't as I planned...and yet, I wouldn't change that decision if I could go back...
My PLAN was to find my future mate while on a singing team in college...we would marry, he would play guitar and I would sing and I suppose we'd make millions off of our love...
OH MY!
My plan started to unravel the moment I stepped onto the college campus, because you can hardly find the vocalist love of your life when you are placed on a puppet team instead of the traveling singers group!
I tried hard though...I fell fast for the leader of my team and tried to revamp my "vision"...could we still make millions if he did puppets and I sang behind the stage for the voice overs???? I should have realized then, that something might be amiss...but, I so wanted things to go along a certain pathway...
Enter a high school senior...
One guy amidst a sea of children at a Bible club...laughing, praying, teaching...just being...sacrificing his time...
I thought he was cute and that I could "mother" him as he came onto the college scene that following fall...ME, being the OLDER WOMAN...
Thus began phone calls, the lunch meetings, the saved seats, the gumball runs, the becoming my best friend.
It wasn't in my plan and therefore, I wasn't aware of what was happening...but, I was being challenged, loved, accepted and morphing into the person that I was meant to be...
He did this for me...It's what happens when someone chooses not just to love you, but to accept you, see the best in you, put your needs before his own...
Through my idiosyncricies, through my past, through my present...he hung on...
Rather, HE held ME through it...
I am reminded of the times that I beat on his chest and pushed him away from me...angry with the world, angry with my then-present situations, angry with my God...
I remember giving him every reason to give up on me...to run the other way...to find a better match...a more suitable helpmate for him...
But, he chose me...I wasn't something to be fixed in his eyes...I was someone to love...
I am forever in awe of who God allowed me to marry...
We are not perfect...but we are a perfect match. He often sees in me things I can't see myself...both good and bad...He helps me chip away the bad and cheers me on with the good...
I celebrate today not only his choice, but his sacrifice, his friendship, his "I'm sorry"s, his thinking of me (and my starbucks) before his need to just get out of the workclothes...and just so much more...
As I said...
He probably won't like this...a post about HIM...
but, he knows my need to express...to sometimes let out every thought that passes in my head...and he loves me regardless...and though it may not be his preference, he encourages and spurs me on...
Happy Valentine's Day my Love!
