Friday, January 28, 2011

Ahhhh the basement

I’m still working on the basement.

I thought I had made more progress than what it actually looks like down there.

I said something to that effect to Italian Stallion, to which he replied, “Sweetheart, we’ve only thrown out about 6 bags total and most of that has been trash” … “ You know I can take care of all this for you if you want?”

Punch me in the gut why don’t you…

Trash? Excuse me? I know how you’d “take care of it for me”…

I have tossed some memories buster! My calculus tests and some old passed notes in high school…all my old lesson plans and countless folders of old study units that took HOURS to put together in the first place…I’ve put books, (yes you read that correctly) BOOKS into the “sell” pile…books, that I remember reading for the first time, where I was and the “movie” in my head as I read…

And yet…with all that…it doesn’t really look like I’ve made much of a dent down there..which only tells you how MUCH of a mess I’ve managed to store over the years…

It’s really a sad state of affairs…

I suppose I could look on the bright side…that I “have” stuff, that my house hasn’t burned down, that I don’t have long-term memory loss (or at least not enough that I can’t remember when I’m faced with an object to trigger it)

But OH the mess that still is my basement…long hours on the weekend, I sit on that cement floor and contemplate what I can pitch and what I must keep for future generations to go through and savor..er, umm…well, they’ll probably laugh and then pitch it themselves…but I say, power to ya cuz I just can’t part with some of those things until I can tell their “story” to my grandchildren…I keep telling myself that they will love me for it…

That is…unless they get their “Grandpa’s” sense of nostalgia..and in that case, they’ll look at me with a confused face, pat me on my hunched, wrinkled back and say, “That’s okay, let me take care of that for you” …

Little devils…Hmph!