Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Textures

I'm cheap...

I don't mean that in a derogatory way...I just really don't like to spend money for things when I can either find them free somewhere or make them myself.  Now, granted, if I made a ton of money and was extremely busy, I'd probably be more apt to hire someone or purchase things to make my life easier...

But, currently, as a stay at home mom, I've got a couple hours that I can let the laundry go and just pour bleach in the sink to make the sour milk smell go away, while I play on the computer:)

A few days ago, I introduced you to actions.  I have created my own actions based on what I normally do when I upload my images to the computer...but, I really do like the ones that Coffee Shop and Pioneer Woman have made available...and with my own tweaking and running combinations, I can make them my own.

Another thing that is fun to do to pictures to make them really stand out...make them "canvas quality" as I like to put it...is to put a texture on top.

You can make your own textures or find free ones online...just do a google search for free photoshop textures.  Or, if you are up for it...just start taking pictures of things.  I take pictures of the carpet, my textured walls, a cream sweater, sandpaper...you name it...

You can lay these images overtop your photo that you are working on in photoshop and then make it into a soft light or overlay layer...once you change the opacity, depending on the depth you are wanting...you can create a beautiful image all your own!

You can click on the above picture to see it enlarged more.  I plan on putting some of these "before/after" photos on facebook as well...for those that want the "recipes"...