Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's like American Idol,but in miniature

You all know that I'm a "performer"...I love me some spotlight...

However, my girls have not inherited this quality and have their daddy's more reserved, gracious, behind the scenes type fervor when it comes to gatherings...

So, when both of my older girls informed me that they wanted to participate in the school Talent Show...like, in front of PEOPLE...I was overjoyed! 

"yay...perform...be known...be loved...yay"

I wanted them to be successful and to enjoy the evening and so I urged them to do something they were confident in and something perhaps "under" their ability so that they could feel at ease when faced with the crowd. 

Both girls chose to play the piano and perform a couple of songs from old lesson books from about 2 years ago (not that they've actually had lessons regularly between then and now, but still...it was familiar)

And so, Italian Stallion took them to their audition early on a Friday morning before school started. 

Shortly thereafter I received a phone call from him...
"Um, honey, do you realize what we've gotten ourselves into?"

"Whatever do you mean sweetheart...of course, our darling girls want to be in a talent show, in front of people, for FUN!"

Italian Stallion: " You do realize that that means that we will then need to sit through the other 30-40 children who are also participating...we're going to be here for hours!"

Me: "It can't be THAT bad...how did they do?"

Italian Stallion: "They timed Sweetpea at 40 seconds and Peanut at 10 seconds...at this moment, I'm watching a riveting rendition of the Celine Dion song from the Titanic sung by a first grader...I find it hard to believe that she understands how her heart will go on and on..."

Me: "Hmmm...well, we'll add another song for Peanut...it will be fine"

Fast forward to the performance just a few nights ago:
After my dear Italian Stallion sat cross-legged, in a suit, on the gym floor with Little Munchkin watching 3rd graders create dance moves to "I whip my hair back and forth", 5th graders doing a few "risque' " cheer numbers, followed up by a poem about a hippo sandwich...

all I can say is ...

nothing...I've got nothing...I'm rendered speechless...

I did make sure that I documented the moment for my daughters though...they were spellbound as their classmates performed and each of our girls went up with ease and confidence to do their numbers...




There are a few images that I'd rather not keep repeating in my head, but all in all, it was a sweet endeavor and the kids were courageous to get up there in front of everyone. 

I will look forward to next year with fear and trepidation great expectation!