I was first introduced to "sauce making" by my mother in law...before then, it was Prego from a jar that we doctored up with browned meat and whatever herbs we happened to find in the old canister rings in the pantry...
I must admit that at first it was quite daunting...
However, moving out to the boondocks here...what else have we got goin' on...and so I can tie up my apron strings (if I ever remembered to wear one) and start my sauce making adventures.
I know that I've blogged about sauce making before, so I won't bore you with all those details once again...this year, though, we have all our ingredients from our own garden...
I'm not trying to boast or be all, "Hey, I'm so great cuz I have a garden and I grow things and they taste good and I'm so cool, blah blah blah..." I'm just sayin' that it's really neat to have your own stuff that you yank up from your own backyard...
Truly...that's all I'm sayin'
Well...that and "HoooWeee...I'm so cool, cuz I got a garden"
Anyway...today was the day that I thought I'd try our first batch of the summer seeing as our tomatoes are finally starting to turn...and being that we have TWENTY TWO tomato plants...I figured I'd better get a jump on things whilst I can!
PLUS...I just HAD to try out this new fangled contraption:
I'll just say now that it makes my heart smile and makes my arms very happy...because straining all those tomatoes through an orange juice strainer like last year...yeah, well that's sooooo last year!
I will explain this all in a moment, but we must begin with the saute' of our onion and garlic...
here's the close up shot of me so delicately dicing the onions...
If we zoom out...we see...
Yes, I know that the first thing that you may notice is that I'm not wearing an apron right?
No? you're actually wondering what the heck do I have on my face?
ohhhh that...yes well...apparantly my eyes have a slight aversion to wafting smell of onions...
Out here, we just remedy that with our daughter's pair of swim goggles...
worked like a charm I tell you!!!
Plus, I was in a dress...nothing says elegant like a dress, no matter what you got goin' on elsewhere right?
Let's continue shall we?
This is where I just smiled, laughed, giggled a little...
sighed a sigh of relief and relished in the fact that I CAN cook in a dress with this little dream machine...
cuz it just does all the work for me...and no mess!
crank that sucker right up and out comes the guts on one side and the juice on the other...
LOVELY...
CHARMING...
EASY...
A little bit "gross" as Peanut pointed out...but all in all...it's an A+
And the point is...it gets us to this:
My Sauce!
And ooooweeee it's gooooood!
Havin' me some lasagna tonight...
minus the goggles.







