Saturday, July 10, 2010

Eleven Years Ago Today...

I married my best friend.


I never could have imagined my life as it is now...it wasn't what I expected...but, it's more than I ever hoped for...

I"m not saying that things are always perfect...I think you all know me well enough to know that I've got to be REAL...we do have our ups and downs...our disagreements that sometimes turn into big ole arguments and sometimes I'd rather just...just...shove cake up his nose!

But, the amazing thing is that God put us together and we fit...just right! 
I think back to the first time I saw him...me as a big college freshman and he, a little high school senior...
"what a sweet boy!" I thought. "I'll help him around campus when he gets here...he may need a friend."

The fact of the matter, was that I ended up depending on him more than I ever thought possible...
Do you know our story?
I'll give you the quick version...which translates into about 10 minute read, but I think you probably understand me by now...so hang in there!

Being the big "puppet" people that we are were...I got to train his team during my Junior year in college.  He was the captain of the summer traveling team, and I was heading to Australia.  He and I had to schedule practices, go over the line ups, make sure practice rooms were ready...in turn, he helped to train my Australia team...needless to say, we spent a lot of time together...

All the while, I was dating a guy who actually lived with Italian Stallion's parents while doing a pastoral internship...interesting set up to say the least.  I kept trying to set him up with my girlfriends, to which he'd politely turn down.  And we continued to get closer...becoming the best of friends...I could rely on him for anything...which I didn't realize I'd be doing very soon...

Upon returning from Australia, I learned that my younger sister was ill...she only lived one month to the day I returned to the states...My beloved now-husband came to my family...he played with my youngest sister, hung out with my brother, mowed the lawn, cooked meals, carted us back and forth from the hospital...and when I called him to tell him that Sarah was gone...he drove to me, from 9 hours away at his own family reunion to help us with funeral arrangements and just helping my family survive...He was just 19 years old at the time. 

My heart became attached, I just didn't know it at the time...
I had since broken up with said boyfriend, my relationships with everyone were frayed and raw, and he hung in there...
He loved me through all the yuck that followed with my crazy emotions of loss and confusion
He loved me when I moved away from everything that was familiar to take a job in another state to get away from it all
He loved me through all my worries and anxiousness about marriage and if I could be a good wife
He saw more in me than I saw in myself

He isn't perfect, but he's perfect for me!

Seriously, it's GOT to be love to marry someone who poses like THIS on their wedding day...
(thought I'd throw that in there for a good laugh...enjoy)

And so...today, I am remembering seeing him for the first time before I walked down the aisle to become his wife...today, I am thankful for the life God gave us together...
I love him for his generous spirit, his forgiveness, his loyalty, his decisiveness, his patience, his determination, his stability, his dependence on God for this family, his love...

I love you sweetheart!
Happy Anniversary!