Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Can I quote you on that?

Out of the mouth of babes frustrated mothers who can't seem to keep their houses clean, grocery shop, bathe children, plan meals, cook breakfast/lunch/dinner, do the laundry, be pleasant on the phone...let alone, have some quality time playing with the children!!!

I found myself saying the following to my newly 6 year old daughter this morning...this, after listening to Little House on the Prairie and recently discussing the "olden days"

ME:  "Sweetie...I don't ask you to milk the cows, feed the chickens, draw water from the well, sweep the kitchen floor, make breakfast, wash the dishes, start the laundry, scrub the toilets or vacuum all before 5:30 in the morning...so please quit complaining when I simply ask you to make your bed for heaven's sake!!"

a bit of silence and furrowed brow...

PEANUT:  "Mooooooooooomm, we don't own cows!"

I think she missed the point!!!