Let me set the record straight right off the bat: I have NOT read the Twilight series.
From what I understood about them: sci fi-ish, vampires, werewolves and the like...nah, I think I'll just pass.
Now, before you start booooing me right off my own blog, please know that I have many friends that have absolutely LOVED the series...and, as a former teacher and AVID reader myself...ANYTHING that gets people reading is awesome in my book (no pun intended!) So, if you are a lover of the Twilight series, please know that I'm sooo glad that you are reading and that you have found something that keeps you coming back for more!
The other night, the movie Twilight came on...I was exhausted from a photo shoot and Italian Stallion had to WORK on a Saturday, sooo once the kiddos were in bed, we plopped on the couch too pooped to pop! We thought, hey, let's just see what all the hype is about...so we watched the movie...
side note: kudos to my husband for watching a teen/chick flick after a longggg day
Anyway, we watched the movie...which is something I normally don't do BEFORE I read a book, but at this point, I was too tired to care...
Let me just say that it made me more confident and assured of my decision in the first place...NOT because it was a poorly written film or book for that matter, it was good! NOT because there wasn't a sweet love story in the midst of ripping limbs off of vampires or sucking blood, Bella and Edward are cute!
The thing is...I read this Newbury Winner book a longggg time ago that captured my heart and I kind of felt like this Twilight phenomena was the vamped up/new generation version of it...
Anyone read Tuck Everlasting? NOT just watched the movie...but read the book? It's thought provoking and heart wrenching...and I loved it. I felt like, after watching Twilight, that it played right off the premise of this book...except that instead of drinking water...they suck blood....and instead of lessons learned, it was mostly just a love story...
As I said before, I haven't read the series...but I have a feeling that Bella chooses to become a vampire at some point...that's the difference...Winnie chooses NOT to drink the water, even though her heart breaks to not be with Jesse...
Who knows...I'm not all that eloquent at this point...my head is still swimming with details from the movie and memories from my read of Tuck...but, did anyone else see that similarity? or have some thoughts? I'm open!