Friday, January 8, 2010

It's a Snow Day

We were awakened this morning with a phone call:

"All local schools are closed today, January 8th...etc etc etc"

Now, I must tell you...we are ECSTATIC about this information...we are thrilled...I get my girls home with me all day today!  WOOHOO...we'll probably play in the snow, drink hot cocoa, takes lots of pictures, make forts in the house, argue about how "she got to have 5 M n Ms and I only got 3" and we'll throw a few whines and pouts in there for good measure...but all in all it will be a great day!

What just cracks me up is the utter panic that ensues when SNOW is coming...

Granted, I have NOT been out on the roads this morning...goodness, I haven't even listened to a weather station is ages...but, while I was out yesterday it was the TALK OF THE TOWN...

Everywhere I went people were asking me, "How bad is it out there?"..."The Snow IS COMING"...You'd think we were needing to get prepared for a blizzard the way people spoke of the coming snow...Friends on facebook even referred to it as the White Stuff of Death...I felt like I needed to get to the store to stock up on  the basics like bread, bottled water, milk, eggs, cookies, pizza...you know, the basics!  By the excitement shown by all you'd think we were going to have to dig our way out of homes today and drink melted snow to keep hydrated, layer up in preparation for the extreme cold wrapped up with blankets, hang onto our small children for fear they'd get lost in the snow drifts...it just makes me smile!

Trying to drive my way home on the highway, having to succumb to the self-imposed 35 mph of the other drivers who were cursing the semis as they plowed past them was quite the treat I must say!  And my dear husband had to call to inform me that he was "on his way" home last night, which in SNOW language means, "Honey, I'll be home in about 45 minutes as opposed to 15 because noone is going over 25mph on the city roads"

We'll see what today brings...but as for us girls...we'll be outside for a good part of it and if I can get my frozen fingers to work and I don't loose Little Munchkin in the snow piles, I'll attempt to get a few pictures to share with you later...

Have SNow much fun today!!!