Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mission Completion!

So, I ran my 5K this weekend at my alma mater:) 

Let me begin by saying that the old corn fields and midwest weather didn't let me down..oh no...nice spitting rain, blowing wind and temperatures in the 30s was JUST the thing to drag my sleepy bottom out of bed at O' dark thirty...it also took about 2 phone calls and a handful of texts while laying in the dark on my hotel bed from fellow alumni classmates to roll me out the door...

I'll be honest...I was cold, we kept the girls up until 10:30 the night before, swimming...because THAT is what staying in a hotel is all about, AND did I mention it was COLD? 

However, my good friend Lori, whom I haven't seen in 15 years said she could rally...and Sara...well, she's not only a running pro, but an incredible encourager as well...

And so, I hauled my lazy bones out of bed, managed to brush my teeth and donned my running attired...adding gloves, an extra long sleeve shirt and earband to the ensemble due to the above mentioned COLD!!!and headed to the lobby to "get the show on the road"...

This is the before picture...if I could caption it, it might say something like: "Yes, I'm absolutely and utterly ridiculous...my eyelashes are already frozen!"
We ran together throughout the whole race...along side Josh who kept our head in the game...my arthritic, cracking ankle keeping time with the pace and I think I complained enough about the wind and the cold to perhaps cause Sara to stealthfully put the volume up in her ipod:) 

She was patient with me throughout...even when I pushed her off the track oblivious to the fact that I was running the wrong way...

We finished strong though...and sat through the winner announcements...I was quite shocked to hear my name called in the 31-39 age bracket...but, I'm more reticent to discuss the fact that in just a few years I will be in the next age bracket...
To be completely fair, I must confess that Sara purposefully held back so that my leg crossed the line first...and Josh, the crosscountry runner extraordinaire...he so could have run circles around us the entire way, but just plugged along! Kudos to CU students!!!

As is to be expected, it took me a longggg time to make a decision on what to purchase with my newly achieved $10 gift card to the college bookstore...but after much thought and  whining "come on Mommy, just make a choice!" prodding from my husband and young girls, I purchased a nice travel coffee mug...And just to reassure you it will NOT take the place of my hard earned 4.0 mug from freshman year!

So...our day continued as I finally got to have a shower...the only "mishap" that I wasn't prepared for, was the fact that my body was so cold that when the hot water hit my body, I felt like I was on fire...therefore, I had to keep cooling down the stream...thus turning my hot shower into lukewarm and hoping that my fingers would bend properly so that I could actually "style my new hair cut

It all turned out okay and we headed down to the parade for the morning with Uncle Graig & Aunt Sara and all the girlies...

You know it's cold when your daughter has to hold her gloved hand over her face because she can't handle the whipping wind...

G's Aunt Kathy had us all decked out with personalized bags to stash the candy...and she even got out there in middle to make sure all the people in the parade recognized the line of little girls awaiting their sugar high!


Our parade time was followed by the 15 year reunion gettogether...it wasn't a huge turnout, but it was nice to spend good quality time with the few! 




It was a wonderful day...the girls loved seeing Mommy & Daddy's old stomping grounds...although we decided NOT to show them the "make out" spots...(holy cow, did Ijust admit to that here on this blog?) 

We were amazed at the changes taking place at the university...I remember at one point looking at the "Kids" in the parade and asked, "Are those high schoolers or college students?"  to which my daughter replied as she saw the group coming behind them, "Hey, Mommy are you from the class of 1961?" 

Let us now be rest assured that I will never have to worry about getting a big head or thinking any too highly of myself...thank you dear ones;)

We made it home at a decent hour and are now heading to bed to dream about WARM lands and hot coffee:)  Thank you friends for making new memories!!!