I'm going to shoot this straight...mostly because I want to remember the date and need a venue with which to express some thoughts.
I received a call today from my sister who had some news to share with me...It's been a day of surprises already...My good friend Marla had just posted about her husband (of just 34 years) had had a heart attack...and Anne & I were just finishing up working on a funeral program for a mom of a bride that we photographed just this past May. Needless to say, there's been a sense of shock and emotion in the air...
And then Rachel called...we were in the middle of driving down our "hick town" streets...everyone in john deers or tractor trailors...the kids dressed up and beggin' for candy...
My cousin, Reagh, was killed in a car accident.
I "met" Reagh for the first time when he was just 9 years old. I traveled up to PEI, Canada to stay with my uncle and Reagh & his sister for a week...because I was Anne of Green Gables crazy after my first year of teaching and I thought, "well, I"m single and I can...so off I go to see the world."
Reagh was my buddy...he helped me not crash his dad's car while I tried to drive that stick shift up and down the red dirt roads...We kept in touch as only a 4th grade boy and his "12 year his senior" cousin can:)
Fast forward some more years and he came back to the states when his dad had an accident...he'd grown up, but there was still much of that little boy in him:) And we had developed a bond that wasn't broken...
We've kept in touch since...exchanged christmas cards, kept up on facebook...I've given him that big sisterly advice and he's teased me about being uptight:) And I always told him I loved him and he never failed to ask me why? I wasn't sure whether it was just a joke or if that kid from long ago was wanting to know too...no matter, I gave it to him straight...he's family...there's nothing that he could do or say to make me love him less or more...it's how Jesus loves...and if I can try to show him love like that, I'm going to.
I know that there are many others than are hurting even deeper than me right now...his 3 year old daughter...his beautiful girlfriend and mommy to that sweet girl...his mom...his 2 sisters...his dad...
I don't know why death still surprises me...still catches me off guard...why am I surprised when bad things happen...this is the world that we live in...I thank God for hope.
That was the day...there were good things that happened today...and I'll share them soon...but, my emotions are spent now..my body is tired...my heart hurts for all the hurt of those in PEI tonight as well...
good night:)
