do you remember those jokes? The "yo' momma" jokes?
It all centered around being able to give the best 'jab' or 'put down'...
They aren't just "jokes" anymore...I think it has turned into a "disease" of sorts...a "sickness", if you will...
I like to now call it the "One up 'em" disease...
I have currently diagnosed Little Munchkin with the "yuck"...
Don't get me wrong, I "catch" it every once in a while...although it shows up in more subtle ways...I like to call it "braggin on my kids" or "sharing a prayer request"...Have you ever caught this "cold"?
It was out in full force today with Little Munchkin...she had to "one up" her little friend at the zoo today...holy moly...it sounded like this...
"I'm going to hold MY mom's hand with the RING on her finger!"
"I'm going to have APPLES for MY lunch"
"I'm going to ride the LEAD horse on the carousel"
My older girls give it and take it at school too...
"Oh, my mom got me a bunch of pencil grippers...oh, you don't HAVE any?"
"I have a DS and an IPOD and an theater system in my basement...(smirk, smirk)"
What is it in us that thinks that by putting someone else down, by "putting them in their place" that that actually elevates our "standing" in our peer group?
Ohhhhhh, wait a minute, that would be that thing called SIN right?
All in the name of "trying to relate" to others...we have to tell the "best" story, we have to be the best (or the worst) just so that we get center stage, we get the spotlight...sometimes it's for the praise, sometimes it's for the pity...regardless, it's a focus on ME!
I had to pull Lil Munch aside plenty of times today to talk about her tone of voice, her heart...MAN, that is hard trying to explain that to a 4 year old...I struggle with trying to instill confidence...a sense of "you don't have to be walked on" in my children...but at the same time, a heart that is compassionate and generous...
I'll be honest...I don't want my kids to get bullied and shoved around...I don't want them to always be last, to always get the leftovers...but at the same time, I want them to WANT to give to others...I want them to put others needs before themselves...UGH...it's like this huge contradiction...and trying to 'parent' it correctly is taking every ounce of prayer and patience and pleading with God for wisdom.
don't get me wrong...we had a great day...it was fun to see the animals and brush the goats and swat at the bees:)...but, I'm a bit worn out...I find myself struggling with the same things that I'm trying to teach my girls...I crave attention and validation and affirmation...from people...and I don't want to...and I don't want my girls to feel like they have to "show someone up" just to get noticed...
Oh the heart issues...that's where it really matters isn't it? It's not all about eating your broccoli and watching too much TV...THIS, the HEART, is where the battle lies...
I'm determined friends...I don't know the answers...I haven't figured them out in my own life except to do a lot of apologizing and admitting when I'm wrong...but, I will NOT give up in these precious gifts that God has given me in my girls:)