Sunday, July 10, 2011


This incredible man asked me to marry him on September 10, 1998...10 months later...we were married on July 10, 1999...it's been 12 years...today!

I grew up with guys as my "buddies"...I didn't really get into the whole "dating" scene until college and even then, I wasn't all that into it...I'll be brutally honest with you...I was scared out of my mind! 

I don't say this other than to give you a tiny insight into the workings of my brain...but I come from a long line of divorce in my family...back to grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents...somewhere in the depths of my heart, I honestly thought I carried a "divorce gene" and I couldn't help it...

I couldn't imagine falling in love with someone and then involuntarily crushing them in the future...what if I didn't have it in me to last forever? 

To some that may sound like a cop-out or absolutely ridiculous...and maybe it is...but crazy or not, that's how my brain worked and I put my poor future hubby through...I'm not quite sure how to describe the "torture" that followed...at first trying to push him away, turning into "tests" to see if he could really handle the complex nature of ME...

Slowly, but surely...I watched him...I respected him...he inspired me...he cherished me...he didn't love me for what I could be, but for WHO I was...and am...

I watched him care for my family while our world was turned upside down...
I saw him sacrifice his time and money for friends and family, even when it may not have been reciprocated...
I experienced his strength when I wanted to lash out at everyone and felt empty...
I received his endless surprises and gifts to remind me of how he loved me...

I came around...it wasn't a challenge to him to "win" me...he simply loved me...just because...no matter what the outcome would be...but, he waited...

I've known him now longer than I haven't known him...and, I can't imagine life without him.

He is integrity and strength...he is generous and kind...he is fun and surprising...

Happy Anniversary sweetheart!  Thank you for waiting for me!  I love you forever!