Sunday, July 24, 2011

Partial Harvest

I won't lie to you...

I've been a little disappointed this year with our garden...

I mean, when you compare it to our over-abundance from last year...it just makes me a little sad...

Not to say that we didn't give it all we had this year...with 24 potato plants and 23 tomato plants and over 15 onions and I don't know how many garlics...along with 3 plantings of green beans and 5 rows of sugar daddy peas...

I could go on and on...

We're not farmers...we just like a nice big garden...Italian Stallion likes to go out there on Saturday mornings and weed, while I take all the credit on any and all harvesting:)  It's a GREAT bargain! 

This year, though, with all the rain and humidity and just all around crazy weather...coupled with the fact that the deer have finally discovered us and flea beetles descended upon our potatoes...well, it just made for a rather meager supply this summer.  And note to self, although crop rotation is necessary...keep the beans towards the inside boxes where the deer will be less likely to eat off the tops!

Now, I know, I know...we still have the whole month of August to go...our tomatoes are starting to ripen..I've already shredded 4 zucchinis and made bread, brownies and grilled zucchini with goat cheese...We replanted more beans and said, "what the heck, let's put us in some more zucchini..cuz, you know we love shredding zucchini all day!  THE JOYS!" 

We are enjoying what we have though...and it does look yummy...just not the "plethera" that I was counting on!  Here are just a few of the onions, but all of our garlic...I didn't bother taking pictures of the potatoes because to put it bluntly, I was just sorely disappointed by the amount we surfaced:(

The girls at least had fun with picking them though:




Little Munchkin even enjoyed driving the tractor...and YES, my husband let her drive...it makes me a bit nervous for the future as she obviously feels it necessary to talk, point, and probably put on makeup all whilst driving...
We put them all to work cleaning everything...

And then they pooped out on us...


I am looking forward to my basil growing...it took about 3 times to get it to take this year, so it's still rather small...but we'll have some bushes here come September!


But until then, I'll just be dreaming of pesto and willing my replants to sprout!