Wednesday, March 9, 2011

If you're stoppin' by...

You may have noticed that I changed things a bit...

I know...I'm a few weeks early for spring, but in my crazy state of "ignoring the obvious" (see yesterday's post) I decided to waste some more time and change things up a bit...

I think I will take this opportunity to share with you a few read aloud books that my girls have LOVED and I have LOVED reading to them...

I have a thing about books...I can't seem to get enough...I go through them like water, but at the same time, once I race through, I find myself going back to just savor a little bit more.  I'm not a huge non-fiction reader...although I have been reading a couple or 4 non-ficiton books lately, just to tide me over until our trip coming up in April...

And speaking of that trip...I have a book bag full of books that I want to take...it's a serious challenge b/c they are "due" back before we leave...so I am hoping to do the whole "renew" or reserve them on a different card scenario to make sure I have them...but, it's literally killing me to have them sitting in the corner of my music room and I won't let myself touch them...

hmmm..perhaps THAT'S the reason I can't seem to sit still...(again, read yesterday's post)

Okay...so here are some good reads for kids (I suppose girls in general...but what do you expect...we've got lots of estrogen around here!)

Princess Academy




*Princess Academy:  We loved this book.  I read it myself first and couldn't put it down.  I remember starting it at 10pm and finishing around 2am...it has a very earthy, rugged voice to it...but this underlying hopefulness and in the end you just find yourself smiling...




Clementine* Clementine Series:  I completely laugh out loud with this little girl.  She's endearing, the parents are commited and accepting...I just love it to pieces!!! We've read all 4 books, and listend to them on CD at least 10 times each...they are ALWAYS on at our house.

Product Details*All of a Kind Family:  I wasn't sure about this one at first...it's an older book and it's about a Jewish family.  It touches on all sorts of traditions and foods and language that I'm unfamiliar with, and yet, it was wholesome and funloving.  My girls loved how the sisters were together and each one of them (even Little Munchkin) chose a sister that she identified with the most.

Product Details*The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane: Okay, let me just say it right now...I cried in this book.  It reminded me a lot of the plot from Hitty, her first hundred years...but, at the same time, I completely got caught up in this book as well.  To watch this little rabbit's character just grow was sometimes heart-wrenching, but, sooo worth it in the end!

These are just our most recent reads...my girls are independently reading these books:

Sweetpea LOVES Boxcar Children...can't seem to get enough
Product Details
I just reserved a bunch of these books from the library in hopes to get her into a different genre here for a little while: It's called the My America series...Sweetpea is not my die-hard reader, therefore books need to be "drunk" not chewed...I'm going to try the My America instead of Dear America...although, I've got a good Titanic Dear America one in my bag...so we'll see what she chooses...
Product Details

Peanut likes Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew series right now
Product Details
but, she's also been back into the American Girl series with Molly and a few fairy books too...

Little Munchkin is still stuck on the Gruffalo (although, we had to take it back to the library today)
Product Details she's also into anything princess related...so we've been diving into Julie Andrews books, disney princess books (of course) and Fancy Nancy..just to name a few:) 

And WHAT, you ask, am I reading???
Oh my...well, the books that I'm saving for our trip are big ones...especially for the plane...the first is Francine River's sequel to Her Daughter's Dream that I read last fall..
.Product Details
I unexpectedly found an author that I'm learning to enjoy...she does "semi-biographies" of past historical authors and such...I read this one a couple of weeks ago..and discovered that she wrote one about Jane Austen and Mozart's sister...
Product Details

Other than that...I've been doing lots of blog reading and trying to sift my way through Ann Voskamp's book...her's is a difficult read and taking me some time to get through...

Anyway, just a little book sharing post today...enjoy your wednesday!