Thursday, March 17, 2011

Breathe In...Breathe Out

One nebulizer treatment, albuterol inhaler, flovent puffs and a chest x-ray tomorrow...and with that, the hope that they will figure out what is causing the breathing difficulty and the dag-gum coughing that WON'T EVER STOP!!!

Do you get the feeling that I'm a bit perturbed by the fact that my little Peanut has been coughing for about a month...and the fact that we dealt with this same issue right around Christmas time for the same amount of time?

I'm grateful...beyond thankful that we have somewhat outgrown the croupe...that awful barking that completely seemed to obstruct her airways causing me to dial 911 on occasion b/c I couldn't get her to take a full breath...

So the fact that we are just dealing with this rattling cough...well, as I said, I'm thankful...

at the same time...the awakenings in the night, the tired little girls in the morning, the tummy aches from hacking so much...all this has just had it's toll.

The doctors are baffled at the moment...is it asthma? is it allergy? is it reflux? is it sinus? we've tried every remedy it seems based on her symptoms and yet the "cure" doesn't work on that particular symptom and so we are dumbfounded and bewildered as to what to do next...

in the meantime, we're inhaling through air chambers and downing the Triaminic, adding vicks to our feet and sipping lots of water...

Adding to my "day"...(since I'm in this mood of "woe is me") Little Munchkin has decided that naps are a thing of the past...and though she can make it without a nap on occasion, she is QUITE the cranky and ornery and stubborn little thing when this happens...today was no exception.

I knew the doctor needed my full attention...so did Peanut, who is trying to "control" her cough in the office.  Little M doesn't see it that way and is determined to throw back her head and have a full on temper tantrum...now, had I NOT been in the presence of the doctor dealing with a boatload of information about mycoplasma walking pneumonia swabs and other words about which I have no comprehension, I would have been able to deal quite sternly and readily the issue at hand...

she's a smart one that Little Munch...when she sees an opportunity...she runs with it...and RUN she did...

Long story short, however...by the end of the conversation and Peanut is getting ready to exit the office with the doctor, Little Munchkin seized the moment to slam the door...the problem with this being that Peanut's fingers were within the door frame...

you know what happened next...

If you want to know what will bring a stubborn 3 year to her senses in a split second...have her cause pain and uncontrollable crying from her elder sister WHOM SHE ADORES...needless to say, I then had TWO little girls bawling in the office...

One in my arms, the other sniffling along with her bag of ice and my eldest bringing up the rear carrying the prescriptions and X-ray procedure papers...

All in a days work I tell ya...

I do have a picture from the office with Peanut and her breathing treatment, but at the moment I can't figure out how to get it off my phone...so you'll just have to trust me:) 

Thanks for listening!