Thursday, March 5, 2009

Princessed Out? Maybe not...

If any hosuehold has had their fill of "princesses" it has to be ours...Just thinking back, the whole princess thing started when my eldest turned 2...that was over 5 years ago...it's been nonstop princess ever since...and every 2 years, it starts all over again...

Cinderella, Ariel, Sleeping Beauty, Belle...as they get older, we get into the "Queens of Narnia" and then into Princess Diaries, Enchanted, Ella Enchanted...and again, we start back at the beginning with the dress up dresses, the plastic shoes, the wand, the crowns...dancing with the "prince" (aka Daddy)...sometimes I feel like I'll never get my living room back...it's filled with all that princess paraphenalia...and I think if/when I have to sit through the umpteenth viewing of Cinderella when my youngest starts, I don't know what I'll do...

Soooooo, it surprised me when I was drawn to a book at Barnes N Noble entitled Princess Academy...it was a newbery Honor book, but the title itself should have made me want to turn my head and run...but no, I wrote down that title and went searching for it at my local library.

Maybe it was in an effort to read something other than Disney to my children...maybe I just had a mental lapse...but whatever it was, I started to peruse the book...I only read the first couple chapters to my eldest and we got sidetracked...but something had me hooked.

I just sat here and read that whole thing in the past 2 hours...It had me on the edge of the couch, reading as fast as I could to find out what was going to happen next! It was predictable towards the end, but oh refreshingly so...not your run of the mill Princess story...I can't even put into words how fun this book was to read...now I need to determine whether my first grader will really "get" what I got out of it, or if I should wait a year or two to finish it with her...

So, I guess I'm not through with princesses yet...and I suppose that's okay...