Saturday, March 21, 2009

Esther Study and my girls

I’m in the middle of an Esther bible study by Beth Moore and nothing thus far has challenged me to be more aware of my parenting my little girls than this study. Beth intereviewed over 200 women asking them what are the hardest things about being a woman:
Oh she got some fun answers...I wish I could list them all right here because I have laughed so hard at some of them...but others that she read had some real seriousness to them:
~being insecure
~not being beautiful enough for this society
~having to deal with MEAN people, catty women
~balancing life
~emotional rollarcoasters
~comparing myself to others

What I realized is that not only have I and do I have these things in my life from time to time BUT...my GIRLS WILL be bombarded with these...this is what they have to "look forward to"...I can't protect them from everything...and when those lies and sins come charging at them...each one of my daughters will have the choice to either believe the lies or fight them...

It has really caused me to sit and think about how I parent them, as not only their mom and authority figure but as a "woman". If you read an earlier post from this week, I had the opportunity to deal with "comparison" with my eldest girl. It was eye opening for me and for her. I want to remember to drop everything else that comes charging in my day when one of my girls needs something like that. But, I also want to be proactive...to find ways to not just connect but talk through certain feelings and character traits.

My girls are young...they may not deal with these things for awhile...but I don't think that it just happens overnight either...I wonder if I really thought about it and looked for opportunities in the "small" things, that when they get older and the insecurities become "bigger" and the "meanness" is more emotional...that perhaps we'll have an even more solid foundation from which to build on...

Got some stuff to think about for sure...if you have time and you are a girl :) list your top 1-2 reasons that it's hard to be a woman on my comment list...I'm really interested!!!