Monday, July 30, 2012

The Legend of the Kahiki...

Long ago...in a "country" far, far away...lived 4 ridiculously immature, goofy, fun-loving, and loyal friends...

Who grew up and had many children (all of the female gender)...

And...perhaps, maybe...they are still as immature, goofy, fun-loving and loyal as they ever were...if not even more:)

.....................................

So, I pretty much stink at "make-believe" stories...but the premise remains...

We vacationed last week with our awesome friends...Let's call them the Awesome A's :) 

We made our way northward to pick up our children from their "Camp Michigan" with their grandparents and Auntie...and then we headed on our way towards the west...

It's odd, having grown up in the mitten state, that I never actually vacationed on the west side, outside of camp trips or a day trip visit. (at least that I can actually remember)  So, I was anxious to explore the white sands and NON-salty lake water...which I was told was MUCH better than the Lake Erie I swam in as a youngster...ahhh, sewage water:)  FUN:)

I was also very excited to introduce Sand Dunes to my girls as well...

Little did I know that Uncle G was looking forward to combining his love of Geocaching along side my sand dune desire...we discovered that this combination may or maynot have been a good "marriage" of sorts...

But, we pressed on...and all in all, the week was a success...

It started out upon meeting "Johnny" our smoker-friendly-voiced landlord who gave us the keys to a very old, yet charming beach house...right there on the lake.  The older girls immediately claimed the tiny upstairs apartment to which they began to scour and clean...and write up a chore list for the week.  (This lasted all of about 1 day...maybe just half a day, I'm not sure:)



We obviously had to head out to the beach to explore...at which point, the dad's showed their displeasure of the women folk claiming the beach, whilst they went out into the looming, cold waters...but, we marched on in our "camera-protection" plan and sand-sculpting ideas:)






 

We eventually got in the water (if just for a quick 5 minute dip)...and everyone enjoyed building sand castles, flying kites and playing frisbee on the beach!





...and capturing "monsters" on the beach???

 
Our house saddled up alongside the splash pad and carousel...both of which proved to be WINNERS in the girls' books...




We then meandered on over to the Sand Dunes...where Uncle G gave the run down...about the run down...to which no one really listened, but ran aimlessly down the hillside, sometimes falling face first, only to jump back up and keep going:)  This is not a good idea when you have over $5000 worth of camera equipment on your back..I repeat, it is NOT a good idea...



 but, I did it anyway...

We also continued our Geocaching while there...talk about "walking through the dessert on a horse with no name"...minus the horse...we gave up after 3 ups and downs and opted for ice cream in town instead.
The geocaching thing is mighty cool, I might interject:)  Uncle G introduced it to us and we have become quite addicted.  Whereas Italian Stallion enjoys the hunt and the "micro" finds...the girls like it better when they get to give/take a trinket.




We took a stroll to the lighthouse and of course, had some family photo moments...










The highlight however brings us back to the "Legend of the Kahiki" (like how I bring it all back around again?)  Way back when, when Italian Stallion, G, Sara and I all went out to eat...back when we didn't have to cut other people's food or share sips or take 15 potty breaks during the appetizers.  Back then, we laughed and relished our "maturity"...we bought these crazy Kahiki Mugs and have been "gifting" them back and forth ever since.


Due to the fact that we have each exploded our families and dinners out do not even come close to resembling "life back then"...Sara came up with the idea that we should "compete" for the mugs...as in, an Annual Family Competition!!  Awesome A's versus Terrific T's...nice, corny team names:) 

And so, the games began...complete with Opening Music and everything!




 



We made our Olympic themed flip flops for the competition as well!



 

By the end, we tallied the scores, we "made up some categories" and thus, the Terrific T's beat out the Awesome A's for the coveted Kahiki Cups!!! Sara was amazing with all her planning...from the cupcakes to the medals given out...she and Aunt Mel had it down!!!

I took over 900 pictures and quite honestly, could write and post about them all!!!  But, I will spare you (just this time) and plan to get them into a scrapbook at some point this summer. 

Thank you sweet friends for a memorable vacation...it reminds me how wonderful heaven will be someday...we soooo need to have mansions next door to each other!!!