Tuesday, July 17, 2012

20 years later...

Remember when you were 10 years old and you thought your parents were old? Or when you were in high school and even those in college seemed light years away?

Then you fast forward through time and college and marriage and babies and sending your little one off to Kindergarten and...and...and...

BAM..the next thing you know, YOU now feel light years away from that little 10 year old, or in this case from that little 17 year old high school graduate...


This past weekend was my 20 year high school reunion.  I hadn't made it to the other ones due to family conflicts and such...but, there was a reason behind subjecting myself to the blatant awareness of AGE this time around!!!

For some, reunions may be a waste of time...and I understand the mindset of "I keep in contact with whom I want already, no need to muddy the waters (so to speak)"

For me, however, it's not about showing off or sitting around reminiscing about old times (although that can be fun especially when you consider the ridiculous-ness of some of my high school antics and/or "nerd-dom"...READ: falling off the back of a car, as a rep in the middle of the homecoming parade (have I written about that yet?

Anyway, I believe in moments...yes, quality time and investment are incredibly valuable...and strong relationships can't just survive on little snippets...However, I believe that there ARE moments of opportunity!  Opportunity to say just the right thing or be in the right place at the right time...opportunity to offer encouragement, to bring a smile to someone who may not be having the best of days (or weeks or years) 

I went last weekend with a bit of "trepidation", I'll be honest...I was not only a nerd in high school, but a worry-wart and sometimes I think kids either walked around on eggshells around me so as to not "offend" OR they just put up with me because, let's face it, there weren't many in our graduating class to begin with:) 

Life has a way of maturing us...it also has a way of carving us into the people we were meant to be...for some that means pain, loss, difficulties...and by those events they are continually shaped and molded and changed.  20 years changes people...and though I will admit that I was curious as to the change just because I'm an extroverted people person...I was more wanting to make a connection and if by some miracle I could let someone know that they were special and that the person they are still becoming is pretty awesome...then, I wanted to do it.

Does that sound arrogant?  I hope it doesn't...it's not meant to say that I have arrived by any means...
Infact, it may have been selfish of me in a sense because I wanted to be encouraged as well...

I met up with the brother of my sister, Sarah's good friend.  His sister, Jamie, had had medical issues as well.  She was at the hospital the day that Sarah died.  I never told him that.  Jamie lived until she reached age 25.  We talked for maybe 15 minutes that evening, but it was time I wouldn't trade for the world.

My friends married incredible spouses that I had the opportunity to meet.  I'm not only so grateful that they have someone to journey with through life, but it broadened my horizons, my perspective...to see them again, as wives/husbands and moms/dads:)

My friend Carol is living through the trial of her life, and has been for the past 4 years...She is inspirational and strong and optimistic.  I wouldn't have passed up the opportunity to see her spirit for anything!

I'm so thankful that we all got together last weekend...we laughed, I cried, we laughed some more...

Yes, it's been awhile...20 years to be exact...but, there is just something about meeting up with people who lived life with you in the beginning...

I wonder what another 20 years will bring...