Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It's almost Wednesday

Wednesday means that school starts...

for like the 5th time for Sweetpea...(this would equal 4th grade to those that couldn't figure it out b/c you may have forgotten the kindergarten year...but people, I'm here for you!)

We've spent the last 2 days doing 2 things...#1 trying to cram as much fun into segments of the day that we possibly can AND #2 still trying to locate backpacks and school supplies because "someone" (namely ME) didn't get a move on it oh, say about a month ago...

The backpack thing is killing me and let me tell you why...here's the deal...we make the girls use their backpacks at least 2 years in a row...they know this coming out of the gate...therefore, they don't bother asking for a new one for the 2nd year...they know the answer.  Now, under normal circumstances, after that amount of time...after being dragged along the driveway, through snow...being thrown all over the yard and house...pencils and markers protruding and piercing the fabric...2 years about does it for the packs...

Sweetpea's from her K-1 years had holes all over the bottom...

For some reason though, the ones we purchased 2 years ago are still in great shape...they were fabulous buys...both under $20, but they were incredibly reinforced on the bottom, had double layering throughout, strong padding...they look great (minus a few stains because someone's mother doesn't like laundry...let's not get into this discussion right now however) 

And so that brought us to this 4th and 2nd grade year...the girls were chompin' at the bit to get new ones...Peanut wants a roller b/c she's all about EASE....Sweetpea wanted something else because "everyone else gets a new one EVERY year mom"...

They are still using the same lunch boxes from who knows when and the frugal-ness in me had won out until the DAY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS...and I started remembering my homemade aqua blue cordoroy knickers that was paired with my Ernie & Bert rainbow colored shirt that I wore to school as an elementary student...and though my girls' lives are a far cry from my stories of "walking to school up hill both ways and keeping hot potatoes in my pockets to keep my hands from getting frostbite while crazy dogs got out of their fences and chase Uncle Don and I all the way to school" 

I completely and totally gave in and bought them new bags this year...

THERE...I admitted it...YES, it's a waste of money because DUH, we already have perfectly useable ones still here at home...NO, I did NOT act in a frugal way this time around...I completely spoiled them and gave into the "peer pressure"...

I hope this, once again, confirms your belief that the crazy Mamarazzi mom is, indeed, a little nuts and though she may TRY to pride herself on keeping purchases on the "down low" and stickin' to her hubby's strict budget...doggone, she TOTALLY blows it sometimes...

I will be doing penance whilst I save up monies from CT PhotoMemories to supplement the hole I blew in the budget this month...

But rest assured, I still will NOT be sewing aqua blue knickers or red cordoroy jordache jean look-alikes for my girls...