I know, I know...some of you that know me are totally rolling you eyes because you remember me in school...you remember the fact that I hung on every word that came out of a teacher's mouth...you remember that I fought for every "A" and more oft than not, sacrificed "friend time" in order to STUDY...you know that I secretly got a kick out of Acing a test and then knocking myself down because it wasn't a perfect 100%...
I was a nerd..I get it...I knew it then too...that's probably where the "hate" part came in...
If I could go back to my former self, I'd probably say, "Self, you need to just relax...you see, in about 20 years you are going to have 3 kids and noone will care that you were valedictorian...in fact, Mr. McMann might be the ONLY person to remember that his was the class that kept you from a perfect 4.0...in fact, it will probably be called upon you much more, your ability to draw and paint rather than figure out a postulate or theory!"
Now, before I completely bash my schooling experience...let us remember that schooling helped me to THINK...Obviously, I still struggle with the concept, but let's not go there right now...
The point that I'm trying to make is that school was fun, empowering, brain-fuel...but it was also work, schedules, studying and worry...which, I suppose translates into everyday life anyway...
My girls are at the beginning of this schooling journey...my Sweetpea entering 4th grade and Peanut heading into 2nd grade. Little Munchkin is bringing up the rear with "Pwee-soool" (as she calls it) The first day of school came and went...we all survived...
They endured the long bus ride home, came off sweaty and red-faced into the arms of all the parents standing at the bus stop with popcicles, cookies and big hugs...they raved about their classmates and their "super cool" teachers...Little Munchkin completely sacked out on the couch after a rigorous day of Panera breakfast, looking at books, measuring with pennies, making cookies and a bike ride:) Whew...Pweesool is HARD work!
I had to get pictures of them...it's the same picture every year...apparantly, my girls like pink:) I missed Sweetpea's first grade year...I'm sure I have a picture somewhere, but I can't find it at this late hour...we were homeschooling and probably too busy going to COSI or the zoo or other such classes to even worry about pictures:)
And here they are TODAY...on their first day of school 2011
let's not forget Little Munchkin...
and they're off!
And that's about it friends...Happy Schooling!







