Sunday, June 6, 2010

Update on the HomeFront

Ahhhhhhhhh, now this is what summer is all about...me in my swing, my kids playin' outside...it's a good thing.
Yes, that IS a bit Martha Stewartesque, but I'm itchin' for school to be finished!


The Strawberries are bustin' out like crazy...bakin' pie #5 this evening...
Lookin' forward to some blueberries in the future...we shall see if we can catch before our baby birds, now all grown up, don't get to them first!

On the garden side of the house:  let's not forget these sweet little carrots that decided to sprout their heads...they came up a lot faster this year than last...could be due to Noah style flooding that has occurred along side the drippy, sweaty armpit style heat that we have endured...not sure, but maybe...
It definitely has had an effect on our asparagus...which we can't touch until NEXT year of the 3 year timing for these lovely vegetables...but, I have a feeling it WILL be worth it!
Same with the potatoes...completely overgrown...I'm envisioning bushels this year folks...bushels I tell you!
And, what is a garden without zucchini...the kind that will eventually just come out your ears until you are so tired of zucchini bread, zucchini stir fry, grilled zucchini, zucchini a la whatever else mom can come up with to cook with zucchini...
We have a first with sugar SNAP peas...the smaller ones are sugar DADDY peas...they apparantly don't grow as tall...and therefore, my Italian Stallion headed to Home Depot this weekend to contruct yet another level to the Hillbilly PVC pipe trellis that we have goin' on in the back yard...our neighbors L.O.V.E. us!!!
And, although I hate to admit...I'm actually quite fond of our little Buckeye Bush that has decided to bloom this year...fun...little buckeyes to squash in the fall...yippee!!

There is ONE thing that has put a damper on my beginnings of summer...and that my friends is CLOVER...last year it was the attack of the dandelions...but I have squashed them...like I will the little buckeyes:)...but, the clover...it is eating my backyard...

See all those arrows?  yeah, those are clumps of clover...
do you know what comes with clover? 
BEES
Do you know that I hate bees too?
They can stay back at my garden and they can make sure that I get yummy veggies and strawberries and everything else that I need for my garden, but they CANNOT play around my kiddos by the playset...
and THAT, my friends, is where my enemy, the CLOVER has taken up residence...

I will declare war once again...and I WILL win...
And...it's a good thing!!!