Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hyped up on caffeine

It's late at night that I am writing this...I feel as though my braincells are playing a super fast game of racquetball in my head...I had a bit too much pop and coffee this evening...(It is midnight...of the nighttime before you all will read this)

I will come crashing down at any moment, I am fully aware of this fact.

Not sure why I do this to myself...but, I had such a great evening out all by myself and it just seemed reasonable to get myself a soda...and then whilst sitting in the waiting room of the Honda service area, they had free coffee just begging to be drunk as we folk awaited our vehicle's oil change...

And sooo...there you have it...the overload of caffeine...coupled with my sugar high coming off of my 3 year old's birthday cake!!

Woohoo!!  You all will now have the chance to do the same...Here is that lovely recipe, in case you wanted to know...I will tell you that there is a Weight Watchers version...if you google rainbow cake, you'll find it...I basically did the same she did, except I made my REALLY fattening...cuz we Italians (except that I'm not really Italian) don't skimp on anything!

Rainbow Cake:

First, start off with 2 white cake mixes...and follow the directions on the box:
except double it b/c you're doing 2 boxes remember...not just one...
keep following the directions...look at me...I'm mixing one handed!!
then comes the fun part...set out 6 bowls...let's remember our rainbow colors:  ROY G BIV
except skip the "I" because I don't really know what indigo looks like anyway...
Measure approximately 1 1/4 cups and add that amount to each bowl...if you have some left over, you can divide that evenly or just throw it out...either way, you're going to have a huge cake!

Let the mixing begin...
Once you've got them all mixed and ready....
We now begin the pouring process...
Get your two pans REALLY greased up...these babies can stick...so grease 'em good...

Start with the first color and add approx. 1 cup of Red into the center of the pan...you may have to rotate the pan as you pour to get that circle shape...or maybe that was just me being fancy...who knows...
Then continue with 1 cup of the orange...pour it right into the center the red....it'll start to spread out...that's a GOOD thing...then, add your 1 cup of yellow...now STOP

Go to your other pan and add 1 cup of the purple...followed by a cup of blue and then a cup of green...all starting out in the center...pouring one on top of the other...it'll look like this:
Now go back and keep adding the colors into the center...in order, for each pan...use the remaining colors...they should be about equal so you can just pour it straight from the bowl. Cuz, you want the cakes to be equal...in case you didn't understand why I did it this way...I was so lost on these directions the first time...but then again, I can be a little flighty at times...let us continue...

Follow the directions on the box for baking it...but  be careful b/c you have TWICE the cake batter...just keep checking it and don't rush...it'll take longer than what the box says, watch it and you'll be fine...
In the meantime, you can clean up the mess:
until they come out looking sorta like this:

Let them cool...seriously...LET THEM COOL...And, if you didn't grease it enough (as I did, you may have some frosting challenges ahead of you...so give yourself plenty of time)

In the end though...it's worth it!
And really...I wanted this picture to look so much better, but everyone was jumpin' for some cake so I didn't have time to clear off those crumbs and make it look like I'm the best cake cutter in the world!!! 

But, my baby was happy and that was all that mattered...well, that and the fact that everyone loved the cake and it was a big hit and I swear it was just MORE delicious because of all the color!!!

Have a great day!