Monday, June 28, 2010

Saturday Traditions



It used to be Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fud and the road runner...

And then it went into sleeping until noon and just making it to the cafeteria before they closed while in college...

All sleeping in went away once the girls were born and we were back to Saturday morning cartoons...although this time around, Mommy couldn't find the good ole shows, so we used video until Mommy could whip herself into some 'semblence of coherent energy...

We've now "graduated", and I use that term loosely, to life in Hickville...where we all jump out of bed on Saturday mornings and after a hearty breakfast of waffles and about a quart of syrup each, we head outside in our pjs to pick ourselves some veggies and see what the deer left for us...

I must interject that when I say "jump" out of bed...I am referring to the children and my dear Italian Stallion who all happen to be morning people (sans Peanut who is more like me, but she sucks it up on Saturdays)...anyway, when I say "jump"...for me it is more like roll over...wait 5 minutes...blink a few times...roll over again...stretch...put a pillow over my head and pray for the daylight to go away for just another half hour...grumble a little bit more...drag myself to the bathroom to brush my teeth so that I don't disgust all of my family members..and hobble downstairs where I am greeted by syrup covered faces, a messy kitchen and jabs about how "mommy ALWAYS sleeps in"...but, before I go into a rant of how I get picked on by Italian Stallion due to my morning rituals...I will just leave it at the fact that I do at least GET OUT OF BED and that my friends, is a point in my book!

And so...back to Saturday morning traditions...here is our garden...this is what we do...hope you enjoy!
Once this has all been completed...and I've done the hard job of taking pictures and washing off the vegetables, mediating vegetable tattle tales, stomping bugs, and smashing slugs while my hubby has that slave labor job of weeding all alone for 1-2 hours.  ((side note: please know sweetheart that this is all in jest and I appreciate the fact that you weed in the hot sun and that you get time to think and have time to yourself before the craziness of weekend lifes settles in...but, it IS my blog and I will continue to tease...as long as you continue to tease about my less than stellar morning abilities!))

I then get the opportunity to make some stuff with our "loot"...this weekend was potato salad, pesto and Italian Stallion's homemade wine...it was a wonderful afternoon too!
Looking forward to a great week!