Friday, June 18, 2010

I don't really get soccer...

Have I told you this before?  Soccer reminds me a little bit of skiing...

You know...you go up a hill to come down again...woohoo...yippee...yay, let's go again...

if you can't hear it...that's sarcasm

So here we have soccer...

Let's get a ball and "dribble" it with our feet...because, heck, we don't need no hands...
nope...and let's make it even more fun...let's wear these really spikey shoes and just haul off and kick as hard as we can...and if we happen to kick the goalie in the face as she's racing for the ball...whoops, well that's just part of the game folks...

Or how about...let's try to get the ball to hit all our body parts...let's knock it with our head, because that can't be bad for our brains or anything...nope...or we could body slam it...

I just love the physicality it teaches my little young ladies...

ummm...can you hear it again?

Soccer and me...we tolerate each other...
for now...

for now, it's just a little team sport where my girlies can wear matching hair ribbons and get lots of exercise...
it's a fun thing for daddy to coach and growl with team spirit...

But, I got a glimpse of the "future" of the sport recently as my dear Italian Stallion came up with this brilliant idea to do a sort of "bracket" for the World Cup like they do for Basketball...

Cousins and sisters put  candybars in the pot and each picked teams to win...
My girls really don't know much about the World Cup except that they play soccer...
Peanut still asks when Ohio State is going to play...
"Uh, sweetheart...it's the USA...not just Ohio State"
but, she keeps asking...which secretly makes me happy b/c it means that they aren't really die hard...

I"m still hoping for tennis as their choice sport...I think they'd look cute in little skirts...and there are no spikes coming for their heads...