Thursday, June 17, 2010

Remember Me?

Hi.

It's been awhile...

Why are you looking at me that way?

Do you not remember me?

It's ME...you know...the one addicted to Starbucks and McDonalds Frappes? the one who pooped out on  P90X? the one who ignores laundry until it reaches monstrous heights? changer of poopy diapers?  (the one that can use the word POOP twice, no wait, now THREE times in one paragraph?)  the one who is scared of butterflies, birds and anything else that flies but will charge a goat if it so much as nibbles my baby girl? the one who drops her cell phone down the garbage disposal?

Come on...you remember...it's ME!!

Whew...I knew you get there sooner or later...

Sorry I haven't been around much...between zoo visits and goat nibbles, camera shooting and washing the same load of laundry 3 times b/c I've forgotten and it's gotten all moldy...well, I haven't had the gumption to write much...

But I have missed you my friends...and I'm back for at least today...

And I'm here to tell you that I'm in a rut...a cooking rut...

Have you ever been there?  eating the saaaaaaaaaaaaame things over and over and over and over every week?  My pocket book can only handle so much of begging to go to Molly Woo's and Panera...and Panera's pushin' it for little girls who don't like soup and parents who won't shell out moneys for PBJ sandwiches that we could have easily made at home...

That said...I ventured into unknown territory last night with a most delicious, most yummy, most ahhhhhhhhhh dish that I've had in awhile...

White Chicken Chili...

and here's the thing...I don't really like chili...what is up with that?

But, I made it...and some homemade guacamole on the side and I was in heaven...I'm scolding myself because NOW, knowing how good it was, I should have taken pictures and given y'all the recipe...bummer!  i promise...PROMISE...to do it the next time I make it...

which might be tomorrow...and maybe 3 more times next week...YUMMMMMMM

Anyhoo...I have another recipe that I like to whip out that's fairly easy and semi-nutrious...in that it has asperagus in it...and basically, anything with asperagus has GOT to be good for you..come on now!

So, if you are in a rut like me and need something new, easy, fresh and inexpensive...you can continue to scroll down and watch it "unfold"...OR you can just skip it altogether and head out to your nearest Panera for some chicken paninis and broccoli cheddar soup...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....the choice is yours!

First you start with MEAT: 

I have no idea what kind of meat to get..i just get whatever is on sale...if it "looks" like steak meat, then I get it...

Cut it all up in thin strips like you would for a strogonoff or something...or ifyou have small children and you're going to have to cut it up for them anyway, just whack away at it until all the pieces are bite sized...it makes it look like you have more anyway! 

Stir-fry that up in your pan with a little olive oil and just wait for it to finish cooking..In the meantime, pull out that yummy asperagus and chop it into bite size pieces as well...

When the meat is done, just add the asperagus...and keep stirring...

While all that is doing it's thing, open up your packages of beef ramen noodles and make them fit into your pot of boiling water...I say make because if you try to lay all three in there, they aren't going to fit...I just break 'em and smash 'em and stuff 'em in there...

If you like the flavored noodle bit, you can add the little packet...but, I'm a little freakish on all that sodium for the kiddos, so we just skip out on those packages altogether...

Okay...so while that's all simmerin' and boilin' get yourself a bowl and crack open the hoisin sauce...I just use the whole jar cuz I like me some brown sauce...but, if you don't, then just use about 2/3 of the jar...mix it with about 1/4 cup of water and about 1/2 of one of the seasoning packets (if you want to)  Mix that all together and dump it into the beef and asperagus...

Cook it until it gets all nice and bubbly...not bouble'...just bubbly...turn off the heat and get ready to serve...

Hope you enjoy it as much as I we do...