Friday, February 20, 2009

Saying Goodbye

Have you ever had a friend (besides your spouse) that you just knew God stuck them in your life for a specific purpose...specifically to grow you, to be not just a friend, but an example? My friend, Sara is that friend to me. I met her in college...to be honest, I don't remember meeting her...as far back as I can remember, she was just there...we wrote papers together, raced to turn in blue books together, put in countless hours in the MRC together, went to JS (with our future husbands) together...then we graduated, she got married and we taught TOGETHER...

I drove her nuts with changing the classroom around, being noisy and just plain disorganized...but she hung in there with me...She has validated my feelings when I thought I was just loosing it...she has "set me straight" when I needed a good kick in the pants...she laughs at and with me!!!...she sticks up for me...she commits her life to Jesus and follows him even when it means she has to move to Kenya...I admire and love her...

Our personalities are like polar opposites though...it's quite funny...she's more introverted, reflective...when she talks you listen...when I talk, people usually tune me out, which is why I just get louder!!! She's organized and sticks to a schedule, which is why she accomplishes so very much...I'm spastic and spontaneous, and that's why my basement looks like it does...and yet, together, we have so much fun!

She's the person that even when we haven't talked in forever, we just pick up where we left off...

She and her family are leaving next month for Kenya...I am in awe of their faith, of their dependence on God, of their courage...I will miss her so very much...

They are coming tomorrow to say goodbye and leave little Maci with us for the duration of their stay in Kenya. (Maci is the dog:) I'm anxious yet dreading tomorrow...I can't wait to give her a big hug and then I will hate it in the end because I know it means it will be a long time before I see her again...I'm excited to meet my new "nieces" when they return...but, I don't like that they have to go...

Anyway...that's our weekend coming up...and I'm in a rare reflective mood tonight...
Sara, my dear friend...you loved so very much!