I want to send out a big apology to all those former students' parents on whom I inflicted the "at home" project...my ubber creative ideas which forced you and your family to spend HOURS upon HOURS to create...not just for the "learning" that it would engage, but mostly (and I'm sad to say....)for the pure enjoyment of the teacher being able to watch and see the "ideas" come to life...
Oh, there are so many things I would change if I were back in the classroom now...one being no assigned homework unless you didn't finish it at school...because really, I understand the need to get outside and have bonfires and grill out...I understand the desire to play Rummikub tournaments and have pillow fights...I get it now...so sorry:)
This is NOT to say that we didn't learn anything from the projects...and they "can" be fun...and perhaps it is the only way some parents actually get to spend quality time with their kiddos...so we'll just deal with it and then write blog posts about how awesome our children are:) hee hee
Let us begin with Peanut...
She had to do a report on a country. At first she wanted Italy...well, DUH...
but, that didn't pan out and so we went with 2nd choice...Mommy's heritage...Scotland...
We had great fun reading about the Loch Ness Monster and gross food like Haggis:) We loved the castles and the kilts. She spent hours watching traditional dances on youtube and listening to bagpipe music. For such a teeny thing, she has spunk...she put together her whole project and decided that it would be fun to "learn" a dance and perform it...and that she did...
We also made scones and shortbread cookies to share with her classmates...I was so proud of her...
Next came Sweetpea...I won't go into everything because I think my black & white thinking goes beyond what they actually wanted to expose the students to...Basically, they had to come up with a product...that they created themselves...that their classmates would actually WANT to buy...and then they had to form a business plan by figuring out their expenses and labor costs...determine a price point and then try to "sell" it on Business Day...(which is tomorrow)
The only thing left to do after creating these masterpieces was to figure a way to advertise. We had already run out to the store once, so this Momma wasn't spending any more time or money buying more things for the sake of teacher entertainment...and thus began our acting debuts...
Sweetpea used her Daddy's ipad to create a commercial that will be sitting at her booth tomorrow to entice everyone into purchasing her sweet felty friends...I'll let you see for yourself whether you think it will work or not:)
