Sunday, April 29, 2012

The post in which I split my pants

Do you ever wonder if your exercise program is actually working?  Is the extra cardio and lack of chocolate actually making a difference?

I will be honest...I am hard pressed to believe that it is true after this weekend...

It all began on Saturday morning...this, following an evening of packing and running over to Kohls for 20 minutes only to discover that there were NO bathing suits my size...nada, none, zippo...(this was only the beginning of my "exercise" depression)

Italian Stallion informed me that IF I wanted to be able to exercise on Saturday and still make it on time to hop in the car with everyone to the girls' soccer games, I was going to need to get up at 7am.  This alone is painful in and of itself...especially on a Saturday. 

However, I was am bound and determined to do my daily exercising...and thus, I awoke to the silly birds that sing the same tune out my window every morning and hauled my pajama clad self to the main floor and punched in the Insanity DVD where I would come to curse Shawn T and everything having to do with Pure Cardio...I have another name for "Pure Cardio"...We can call it Pure _____!

And so the began the mountain climbers, the floor sprints, the level 1 drills, etc...in time, the girls came sluggishly down the stairs, with their daddy in tow...ready to begin the traditional waffle making...and so, as Mommy was sweating profusing, they poured their syrup and the wafting aroma of bacon filled the air...

But, I prevailed...I rallied...I marched on...

And about 15 seconds into my squats, something occurred...

Something that would then send my darling daughters and oh-so-supportive husband into fits of laughter and the need to hang onto pieces of furniture so that they didn't hurt themselves...

My pants split...

no joke

The just ripped right down the back...

at this point, it was no use to stop and change...I just kept going...to the snide remarks of "Whew, Mommy, is there a draft in here?" and other such comments...

I pressed on folks...I pressed on...

And then I ripped off those stupid things and threw them in the trash and vowed to eat my fill of ice cream before the weekend ended doggone it!

This was only the beginning of our whirlwind weekend...which in actuality, turned out to be pretty fun, albeit a tad exhausting. 

Peanut had a soccer game at 9:30 in the freezing cold of Midwestern Springs...so with rainboots, winter coats and gloves, we headed out to watch her play.  Once her game finished, we drove to Sweetpea's playing field and dropped off Daddy and daughter #1, while I took the younger 2 home to quickly shower, pack lunches and get back to catch the last half of the game.

Apparantly, while we were gone, hail, sleet, snow and rain rolled in and pelted the players (not to mention the coaches as well)  As I have mentioned before, if I were in charge, if it were ME playing out there, I'd be first to forfeit and call it quits in exchange for a Starbucks Latte...but, that's not how it's done here I suppose...and therefore, it was with soaking clothes and ice cold fingers, my husband piled us into the van (once we WON that game 4-0) and headed off to Indiana to "try" to get to his cousin's wedding on time. 

We made it to the city at about 3:45 (the wedding began at 4pm)  So, we rushed to the hotel, where we shoved 2 family members into the shower and dressed the remaining...blew dry and curled hair, put on makeup, and found dress shoes in record time...we got to the ceremony about 20 minutes late and proceeded to nearly interrupt the vow exchange as we "almost" walked in at the front of the auditorium...

Trying not to laugh at the hilariousness of ourselves, we escorted the girls BACK outside of the church building and tried to locate a back door by which we could enter...We made it in time to see the kiss and bubble them out of the church. 

We then whisked off to the reception...where the girls had endless energy and danced with their Daddy into the evening...We had a great time with the photo booth too!


Well...you can't stay at a hotel without trying out the pool...and so, even after being up early in the morning, playing soccer game in the freezing cold...my girls opted for some pool time at 10pm...how do you say no to that?

We finally fell into bed by 10:30 and woke up with sore muscles and bruised hips due to the incredible "firmness" of the mattresses...which made perfect sense to then "sample" the hottub...

We got back on the road around 11am and headed to Young's Dairy...the quaint little eatery of our college days.  The girls were excited to Mommy & Daddy's old stomping grounds...and I was looking forward to that ice cream I promised myself...

As Italian Stallion and I were conversing along the way on this roadtrip and whirlwind of a weekend adventure...he said something that rang so true..."With parenting, the days are sometimes Longggggggggg...but the years seem to fly by"...

I really am thankful for even these crazy times in life:)...even if it means splitting my pants along the way!