Wednesday, April 4, 2012

And the Garden has Officially Begun!

Oooooo I've been waiting for this all winter...

Nevermind that we had a meager yield last year...never mind that I still don't like to eat raw tomatoes...nevermind that it took my AWESOME Italian Stallion 3 hours to rototill the 6 beds and another 3 hours filling in another 3 yards of nutrient rich soil (yep, nevermind that cuz I was safely inside getting my hair done and my head messaged...but, let's not remind him of this or he may not be too smiley:)

After much google searching and entering this adventure with a bit of fear and trepidation, I discovered that even though we rotate crops each year, it was time to get some more nutrients back into the soil...I haven't figured out the composting thing very well just yet...but, it's on my list of "things to do"...until then, we're starting fresh this year with new soil...and now:

OUR GARDEN IS READY FOR PLANTING!!!  woohoo!

And so it began...

If you remember, I got myself out there early in the winter in December to plant the garlic...they are sproutin' up just fine let me tell you:)  I think they like me, no matter that I planted them just a tad late...I choose to believe that they are thankful for the extra warm time in the brown paper bag...and just to show me how truly grateful they are...WALA...

Since the garlic seems to be so friendly, I thought it was about time to introduce some real friends out there in those lonely beds...

Right next door, we welcomed the potato family...I can't remember how many we planted, but the girls loved starting the mounds and discussed their sand castle making skills that will be perfected once we reach Florida this summer...




catty-corner we put in the spinach, lettuce, romaine and sugar daddy peas...hooo boy, we're going to have us some GREENS this summer!  I suppose I can be thankful for this as I down those green smoothies in the morning:)

Peanut and Little Munchkin were great helps in getting in the onions too...


We called it a night and headed back inside for some hot tea and scones (thanks to Peanut's Scotland presentation...more on that a little later:)