Sunday, May 29, 2011

Come Take a Walk with Me...

I promise that if you come "this" way, you won't muddy your shoes or feet or get sucked into the ravine that is in our backyard due to all the rain latey...

In fact, coming "this" way, you won't leave the comforts of...wherever you are looking at your computer screen...

The sun has finally decided to stay awhile and with that, not only are our spirits lifted from the dreariness of the soggy ground, but it means that the garden is happy once again...

So far this year, despite the fact that is has taken me 3 packets of Spinach seeds to actually get it to sprout...AND the fact that I planted WAYYY too many potatoes again...it's looking to be like a great garden for the summer!

Let me introduce you...
Here she is...on the back of our property...six 4 x 12 raised beds of vegetables...
 Well hello there lettuces...so nice to see your big green heads...these are probably my favorite thing about gardening...
 I did  a little bit better this year with thinning them out...but I think I still managed to keep more than we'll be able to eat...
 Our girls LOVE LOVE LOVE Sugar Daddy peas...I love their little curly-cues that climb up the make-shift trellis that Italian Stallion made out of pvc pipe and twine...
 this is the full box of potatoes...and then we have a half box up there in the right top corner of the picture....wayyy too many potatoes...but they are so darn fun to pick...
 Our newly planted and now sprouting zucchini, with cucumber right behind it...the girls are looking forward to zucchini bread this summer!
 Everything in the garden was planted from seed EXCEPT for the peppers and tomatoes this year...I just didnt' have the gumption to start them indoors and attempt the transplant...and so Oakland Nursery came in quite handy...
 I believe we planted 21 tomato plants this year...one less from last year, but just enough to make sauce to last us an entire 12 months:)
 Onions...once again, I planted about 15 and then was reminded by my pasta loving husband that we ran out last year...and so I headed back to the store last week and purchase more...we now have around 30-35 onions sproutin' out of the ground..
 The garlic I planted in themiddle of December...I'm not quite sure how that happened seeing as the ground was probably frozen, but up they came this spring...and lookin' mighty fine...
 Our "strawberry patch" is in the front yard...and yesterday yielded our first crop...
 we love getting out there and pickin' them...they were just waiting for some sunshine...
This is what I made...and sorry for the dark picture...we harvested in the late afternoon and I made the pie in the evening...I didn't catch Italian Stallion soon enough...he already dove into the pie before I got my picture...but, I think you get the idea...


thanks for taking a stroll with me...I'll keep you posted on the progress this summer...